Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of frustration i went to see my GI last week and someone new was sitting in for my regular guy. I told her about all the stuff i have tried and she looked through my giant file etc. She told me to try going diary free for a month and to stop taking all the propiotics and supplements that i take because some contain dairy and some may be bad for IBS. She also prescribed me Xifaxan the antibiotic thats supposed to kill off bad bacteria in the small intestine. I had already taken this about a year ago and it did nothing for me. I explained to her that i have never had problems with dairy my entire life or during these latest IBS years (its not a trigger for me). I also think that the probiotics and supplements i take daily are the only thing allowing me to function to some degree. Well, I've been on the Xifaxan for the past 3 days (7 days are needed) and my D has gotten much worse. I have also been sticking to this dairy free diet. Whats strange is that last summer i was completly fine and didn't have much IBS symptoms at all, i was probably 90% healthy and was eating anything and everything. So if it was a food allergy that was causing my IBS wouldn't i have felt sick during that time? If it truely is a bacteria overgrowth issue then shouldn't the Xifaxan be helping and not making my D worse?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow this is so strange because your situation sounds very similar to mine: I decided to ask for Xifaxan again due to my latest flair up of ab pain, I too took it about a year or 2 ago without any problems but it also didn't seem to do much one way or the other so I finished the 10 days worth, back then. This time, however, I developed worse D by day 3 and had to stop taking it. I also had a long spell during which my main problem symptom, the ab. pain, was nearly non-existent for a good few months, and I can't explain why it has returned. I am sorry that I am not of any help, I just thought it was interesting that we both had a similar experience with the Xifaxan...

·
Registered
908 Posts
If you have a yeast/fungus problem then Xifaxan would not help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you have a yeast/fungus problem then Xifaxan would not help.
Hmm. I understand this and that Xifaxan is for SIBO primarily but i have also tried killing off any possible fungus with that Oxy cleanse and taking tons of Oregano oil and Grapefruit seed extract with negative results. I was also taking Primal Defense "Fungal Defense". Any advice on how to go about figuring if its a fungal/yeast problem and how to treat it? I would think that with all the stool samples and tests they've run on me that they would've found eliminated this theory pretty quickly?The other strange thing that my G.I. and myself can't figure out is that the only thing that has ever really helped my IBS was heavy dossage of Metronidazol and Ciproflaxacin antibiotics. Which is what led my G.I. to originally think that it may be SIBO but the subsequent treatments have had little affect?Thanks for the reply's, keep em comming. I'm going to figure this thing out one way or another!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts