Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

xylitol,figth yeast and carbo craving...

4K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  SpAsMaN* 
#1 ·
anyone try this sugar who figth cavities and many properties.http:www.vrp.comarticles673.aspI have hypoglycemea it migth be an option.

#2 ·
frank,i have wondered about it. something tells me it could be trouble but i am not sure.it ends in 'ol which means it is some type of sugar-alcohol. sorbitol may cause problems. kmottus may know more about this.if you boil the xylitol does it turn to xylose?hey flux you should jump in on this --- we are talking about "TREE SUGAR" -- XYLOSE.

#3 ·
cane sugar,fructose cause me problems it seems a good option but underground.kel;have you try the link?

#5 ·
spasman --i am reading it now and it seems interesting. it sounds far superior to sucrose concerning the bacteria issue. i think it could be worth a try. i may buy some and see what it does in the way of symptoms. http://www.vrp.com/articles/673.asp
quote: Xylitol binds with calcium and other polyvalent cations, contributing to remineralization of enamel. The calcium-xylitol complexes facilitate calcium absorption through the gut wall. This suggests xylitol may play a role in preventing osteoporosis. This hypothesis has been tested in experimental animals. (14)Sugar is fermented by oral bacteria such as Streptococcus mutans, the principal instigator of dental cavities. S. mutans produce acids that eat through the enamel of teeth and cause decay. These bacteria thrive in the low pH (high acid) conditions of the mouth, easily adhering to teeth and producing plaque. Xylitol inhibits the growth of S. mutans by raising the pH of the mouth, providing less hospitable conditions for S. mutans, thereby allowing harmless bacteria to crowd them out. This creates a long-lasting, possibly permanent change in the bacteria of the mouth.Xylitol also reduces the incidence of periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is also a risk factor for damage to heart and blood vessels. In the presence of xylitol, bacterial adhesion to epithelial cells is disrupted. In an in vitro assay using a 5% solution of xylitol, researchers demonstrated that the mucosal attachment of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae was reduced by factors of 68% and 50%, respectively.Xylitol-laced gum (mints, nasal spray) is an excellent tool for knocking out infections that start in the mouth and throat. Adults and children old enough to chew gum can easily saturate the oral cavity with bacteria-killing xylitol simply by chewing the gum for five to ten minutes several times daily. Researchers at the University of Oulu, in Finland recently had 306 Finnish children from 11 day-care nurseries chew gum either sweetened with sucrose or xylitol. The average age of the children was five years, and most had been selected because they had a history of recurrent, acute otitis media (middle ear infections). At the end of two months, the group chewing xylitol-sweetened gum had a 40% reduction in the incidence of otitis media when compared to those who used the sucrose-sweetened gum. (15)Researchers now believe that gum sweetened with xylitol may be a simple way to treat or prevent chronic sinusitis and some of the more serious throat and lung infections. This is tremendously significant, since recurrent otitis media is the number-one reason for children's visits to doctors. It is also the reason for millions of prescriptions of antibiotics, useless surgeries to the eardrum to allow drainage, and many other questionable procedures. Based on these new findings, many of these problems could be totally eliminated through the use of xylitol. It is also possible that the virulent bacteria flora present in the aero-digestive tract can be favorably affected by systematic xylitol use.To be effective, 4 to 12 grams of xylitol per day are needed (gums and mints contain about 1 gram each). We suggest using xylitol 3-5 times daily between meals. Increasing dental benefits level off at around 15 grams per day.Xylitol Improves Diabetes and Carbohydrate SensitivityIncreases of blood glucose, serum lipids and insulin have been associated with sugar consumption. Advantages of using xylitol to improve blood sugar control include:Excellent taste, versatility and equivalent sweetness Low calorie Very low glycemic index Minimal effect on blood sugar and insulin levels Slow, steady release of energy Antiketogenic - lowers serum free fatty acid levels and improves peripheral glucose utilization Increases absorption of B vitamins and calcium Improves dental health Inhibits yeast, including Candida Albicans Decreases glycation of proteins, reduces AGEs Reduces carbohydrate cravings and binge eating (16,17) Xylitol Aids Weight LossThere are many different strategies for weight control. Xylitol fits neatly into most of them. Xylitol slows stomach-emptying and its low glycemic index and mostly insulin-independent metabolism makes it ideal for maintaining steady levels of insulin and blood sugar. This increases satiety and reduces bingeing. Xylitol is incompletely absorbed, and only a portion of what is absorbed slowly converts to glucose. An important added bonus of xylitol metabolism is the activation of the glutathione antioxidant system which helps to squelch free radicals generated by heavy exercise, thereby reducing oxidative damage to muscle and blood cells. Because xylitol is efficiently and steadily converted to glucose (energy) and glycogen (storage) it may be particularly useful when coupled with other carbohydrates for recovery after heavy exercise. Likewise, it may be valuable for carbohydrate loading (super-compensating) by packing glycogen after a depletion phase.Xylitol used between meals maintains a steady trickle of energy. Unabsorbed xylitol acts like dietary fiber, helping to maintain healthy gut function. Partial bacterial fermentation here produces volatile short chain fatty acids that are utilized along existing insulin-independent energy pathways.Xylitol for Athletes and BodybuildersStrength athletes (football players, bodybuilders, etc.) searching for alternatives to steroids are particularly intrigued by xylitol. Even thin runners want to avoid the 'emaciated' look caused by upper body protein being used for fuel. Developing lean muscle mass involves increasing anabolism (build-up) while minimizing catabolism (breakdown) of muscle protein. These are well-documented xylitol effects in conditions of stress and trauma. It is not known yet how well these findings will translate for athletes and bodybuilders, but the possibilities look promising.Summary of BenefitsXylitol is a sweet-tasting sugar substitute that has been approved for use in more than 35 countries. Consumption of xylitol is associated with a significant reduction in tooth decay, resulting in fewer cavities and resolution of periodontal disease. Xylitol has been shown to contribute to increased bone density, weight loss, stabilization of blood sugar and lowering of insulin levels. Additional benefits include:Increases energy by enhancing ATP production Increases utilization of fat Replenishes glycogen Anabolic - keeps biosynthetic pathways open Anticatabolic -helps maintain lean muscle mass Antioxidant -generates NADPH, keeping glutathione in an active state Increases endurance Reduces free radical and oxidative damage Dosages of xylitol up to 15 grams per day have been used in clinical studies, with excellent results for a number of clinical conditions. The safety of xylitol has been extensively tested. To date, it is completely devoid of adverse effects. And the best part, is that it tastes good.References1. David Williams, 'How Sweet It Isn't!.' Alternatives, June 99;185-8.2. Makinen KK. Biochemical principles of the use of xylitol in medicine and nutrition with special consideration of dental aspects. Birkhauser Verlag, Basel, 1978.3. Aminoff C. New carbohydrate sweeteners. In 'Sugars in Nutrition' (Sipple HL, McNutt KW, eds), Chapter 10, Academic Press, New York 1974.4. Makinen KK. Latest dental studies on xylitol and mechanism of action of xylitol in caries limitation. In 'Progress in Sweeteners' (Grenby TH, ed.), Chapter 13, Elsevier, London 1989.5. John Peldyak, 'Xylitol, Sweeten Your Smile,' Sweet Smart (Mt Pleasant, MI: Advanced Developments Inc., 1996).6. Bar, A., Xylitol. In: Alternative Sweeteners, L. O'Brien Nabors & R.C. Gelardi eds., Marcel Dekker, Inc., N.Y., 1986.7. Life Sciences Research Office, 1986. Health aspects of sugar alcohols and lactose. Report prepared for the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Food and Drug Administration, Washington, D.C., under contract No. FDA 223-83-2020 by the Life Sciences Research Office, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), Bethesda, Md.8. Office of the Federal Register, General Services Administration, 1987. Code of Federal Regulations. Title 21. S. 172. (395. Washington, D.C., U.S. Government Printing Office.9. WHO/FAO Evaluation of certain food additives and contaminants, Twenty-seventh Report of the joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives, Geneva, WHO Technical Report Series No .696, 1983.10. Isokangas, P.; Alanen, P.; Tiekso, J.; and Makinen, K.K. 1989, Long-term effect of xylitol chewing gum on dental caries. Community Dent. Oral Epidemia: 200.11. Soderling, E.; Makinen, K.K.; Chen, C-Y; Pape, Jr., H.R.; Makinen, P-L, Effect of Sorbitol, xylitol and xylitol/sorbitol chewing gums on dental plaque. Journal of Dental Research, Vol.67, Special Issue, Abstract 1334, 1988.12. Tufts University School of Dental Medicine: Dry Mouth, 1986 13. Makinen KK, Soderling E. Solubility of Calcium salts, enamel, and hydroxyapatite in aqueous solutions of simple carbohydrates. Calcif Tissue Int (1984) 36:64-7114. Svanberg M, Knuuttila M. Dietary xylitol prevents ovariectomy-induced changes of bone inorganic fraction in rats. Bone Miner (1994) 26:81-8815. Uhari M, Kontiokari T, Koskela M, Niemela M. Xylitol chewing gum in prevention of acute otitis media: double blind randomized trial. Br Med J (1996) 313:1180-1184.16. Brunzell, John D., Use of fructose, xylitol, or sorbitol as a sweetener in diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care, Vol. 1, No. 4, July-August 1978.17. Makinen KK. Dietary prevention of dental caris by xylitol- clinical effectiveness and safety. Journal of Applied Nutrition (1992) 44:16-28.18. Scheinen A, Banoczy J, Szokes J, et al: Collaborative WHO xylitol field studies in Hungary. Acta Odontol Scand 1985;43:327-347.19. Kandelman D, Bar A, Hefti A: Collaborative WHO xylitol field study in French Polynesia. Caries Res 1988;22(1):55-62.20. Kandelman D, Gagnon G: J Dent Res 1987;66(8): 1407-1411.21. Isokangas P, Alanen P, Tiekso J, Makinen KK. Xylitol chewing gum in caries prevention. A field study in children at caries-active ages. J Am Dent Assoc 1988.22. Makinen, KK, et al. Belize Chewing Gum Study 1989-1993. Journal of Dental Research 1995;74(12):1904.

#6 ·
quote: I have hypoglycemea it migth be an option.
the hypoglycemia might be nothing more than a result of eating certain foods that cause some type of extreme reaction in you. wheat caused me to have those attacks.dr philpott -- formerly of great smokies lab wrote about this in his book. another doctor was able to verify it because he ended up suffering from it. he tells his story in philpotts book.

#8 ·
quote: The effect of xylitol and glucose on the rate of gastric emptying and intestinal transit and on motilin, gastric inhibitory polypeptide (GIP), and insulin release were studied in human volunteers. A single oral dose of 200 mL water containing 30 g glucose or 30 g xylitol, mixed with a 99mtechnetium-tin (99mTc-Sn) colloid, was used. Similar dosing without the label was used in motilin, GIP, and insulin studies. Xylitol decreased the rate of gastric emptying but concomitantly accelerated intestinal transit compared with glucose. The half-times for gastric emptying were 77.5 +/- 4.6 and 39.8 +/- 3.4 min after ingestion of xylitol and glucose solutions, respectively. Glucose suppressed motilin and stimulated GIP secretion; xylitol stimulated motilin secretion but had no effect on GIP, which is currently the main candidate for the role of enterogastrone. The accelerated intestinal transit and increase in plasma motilin observed after xylitol ingestion were thought to be causally related to the diarrhea and gastrointestinal discomfort produced by it.
still, it makes me wonder what this would do to people under normal conditions. eating it with food. would it help constipation predominant people. would it help people who may be suceptible to overgrowth issues.

#10 ·
would you like to be the guinea pigs for the ibs group,i can try to amass funds.That's one was for flux.It was a joke but with some expectations...

#11 ·
i would like to eat muffin sweet by xylitol.Why nobody talk about it?With all the properties they claims it have.I mean they knows that for a while did they?It can save the planet as they said!!!!I have a question :Why an endocrinologist exist? answer:1-make loose thetime to people with hypoglycemea.2-tell diabetic how to live with a needle whithout(most of the time)searching for an answer for this hell.3-talk a walk at COSTCO to find sales.english is second language

#13 ·
kel ,you can comment my humor,i make some efforts here!I just have a quick check in the french world but at the moment no other Jeffrey Roberts exist.I have this only advantage(french)from your citizen of u.s.a.The only thing that i found was curiously;that Jonh Kennedys The father of all american was a sick human.I had ibs severe-d and he ever hadto take male hormons to restore his muscle mass after a while in the toilett.Rest in peace.

#15 ·
Is there anybody who try this sugar?What is the sugar use in gum without tablesugar and against cavities sells in all drugstores in america or at least in canada?Tell me if i'm rigth,it's sorbitol which i can't tolerate.

#16 ·
i found that xylitol is use for many purposes.Toothpastes,which it can be useful for those who claims that fluoride cause ibs.gum,breath spray,useful sugar for the diabetic epidemic and many others uses.Check at xylitol.com or xylitol.orgI'm still don't know why we never heard about it.

#18 ·
i found another sugar,erythritol.they claims that it better tolerate than the others sugar.here the link;jp.eridex.comdocsppteridex_ generalpresentationppt i have some problem with my backslash

#19 ·
http://www.eridex.com/html/geninfo.html no calories??? something in the intestines must ferment it. i wonder what. i don't trust it. All you need to know about Erythritol ...Tastes change, but sweetness will never go out of fashion.Today's consumers are demanding food that tastes good, feels good and is good for their health.C*Eridex is the world's first all-natural non-caloric bulk sweetener, developed by Cerestar to help you formulate the products your customers want. Based on glucose, and manufactured using a fermentation process. Erythritol occurs naturally in many fruits and vegetables.With a caloric value near to zero, properties close to sucrose, and flavour enhancing capabilities, erythritol is the natural choice for today.

#20 ·
i little impress by erythrytol.They do toothpaste too and healthy bars!In fact ,they seems to have the same products thatxylitose.Kel,which research motor you use?

#21 ·
spasman,your link from the great plains has so much good information that i am still reading it from 3 months ago. http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/immune.html Concentrations of IL-12 and interferon gamma are much higher in the blood of children with autism than in normal children, indicating an immune activation, possibly due to adverse vaccine reactions. An optimal immune response to Candida infections necessitates a finely tuned balance of interferon gamma production; the dysregulation of the immune system, caused by IL-12-induced increases in gamma interferon, leads to increased Candida susceptibility in animals.

#22 ·
i have order xylitol gum from vitamins research.

#23 ·
i just want to heard about people with ibs who have been test at greatplains for feedback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.