Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone suffer from chronic yeast infections? Since I have had IBS, I have gotten three, and most recently am wondering if it has to do with the IBS diet I have been trying which relies so heavily on carbohydrates.Or could this be an indication of yeast overgrowth? Although my doctor thinks yeast overgrowth is a myth, I have read that some of the symptoms are like IBS. HAs anyone had this or been treated for it?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Your doctor is correct.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i am thinking there must be something there. I am actually going to check this out and will share the info i find. I have noticed a change with my own body in that aspect since IBS started to let itself be known. by the way NO doctor is completely right or wrong.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Had to add something...flux I hope to goodness you are a woman. Cause if you aren't....really don't discuss a topic that as a man you just wouldn't understand. Men and women have different problems in respects to IBS.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have heard otherwise from a doctor who fully believes that there can be a yeast overgrowth, and that sugar feeds the problem.I notice if I eat a lot of sugar and or carbohydrates ,that I get yeast infections more often.By the way Flux is a man..Anyway not all doctors are correct, you have to experiment with yourself and how your body reacts to certain foods, as I myself have done on more than one occassion.Good luck to you...Hope you feel better ,Jeanne

·
Registered
149 Posts
You are so right not every doctor is right OR wrong. And you need to repsond to your body's action.OH flux is a man.....then why in the world does he think he can say anything about yeast infections and overgrowth?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
BecauseVaginal Yeast InfectionsandThe idea that most bodily ills are caused by an overgrowth of yeast in the colon and/or the entire bodyaretwo ENTIRELY different things.That woman have yeast infections in the VAGINA, and babies (mostly but other's get it ) get yeast infections in the MOUTH are medically accepted things that are well defined in studies (you culture the white cottage cheese stuff and you can prove it is yeast, more specifically Candida Albacans.They have looked for the "yeast overgrowth" in the colon and for the most part it is NEVER found. A few individuals can sometimes get a yeast overgrowth, but for the most part they tend to be people with immunological problems, usually severe problems. They did a BUNCH of studies into the C. albacans hypothesis back in like the 1980's and none of it panned out. However this didn't stop book sellers and some alternative practioners from continuing to promote this idea as a FACT. (in the never let the truth stand in the way of a good theory view of the world)You can get yeast infections in the VAGINA and MOUTH without there being some sort of undiagnosable/undetectable yeast overgrowth in your entire body.Candida Albacans is a normal resident of the vagina and mouth. MOST of the time it's population is kept in check. Some of it may also hang out in the lower GI tract as well. (One theory is that for some people they cross contaminate the vagina with stool and that may cause recurrent yeast infections--NOTE TOTALLY NORMAL LEVELS OF C. albacans not ONLY WHEN YOU GOT SOME UNDIAGNOSABLE OVERGROWTH OF IT--in some woman).Do you wipe from back to front?You may want to change this.Are you getting a lot of...um...splash back??On the other hand, LOTS of woman who do NOT have IBS also get recurrent yeast infections.Much of that depends on what bacterial flora you got going in the vagina, and how well it controls the yeast that NORMALLY live in there. Been on antibiotics very often? That can really muck up the bacterial flora in the vagina and make you prone to yeast infections until you get it back into balance.Some studies indicate that eating yogurt can help limit yeast infections probably because as you wipe you cross-contaminate the vagina with the probiotic bacteria.Yeast infections in the VAGINA do not in ANY way indicate that you got some sort of overall yeast problem.The "antiyeast" diet may help some people with IBS because it tends to be low in certain foods that often trigger IBS symtpoms. So it can work for other reasons. K.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Just FYIPostgrad Med J 1992 Jun;68 800:453-4 Comment in: Postgrad Med J. 1993 Jan;69 807:80. The role of faecal Candida albicans in the pathogenesis of food-intolerant irritable bowel syndrome. Middleton SJ, Coley A, Hunter JO. Department of Gastroenterology, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, UK. Candida albicans was sought in stool samples from 38 patients with irritable bowel syndrome and 20 healthy controls. In only three patients with irritable bowel syndrome was C. albicans discovered and these patients had either recently received antibiotics or the stool sample had been delayed more than 24 hours in transit. C. albicans was isolated from none of the control stool samples. We conclude that C. albicans is not involved in the aetiology of the irritable bowel syndrome. PMID: 1437926

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason I thought they might be related (yeast infections and yeast overgrowth, that is) is that for women, many infections can be transmitted, say in the case of UTIs, from the vagina to the ureter and I thought this might also apply to the proximity of the bowel to the vagina. Everything is so condensed down there, I just thought it was a possibility.And fortunately I do wipe properly!

·
Registered
127 Posts
In Flux's defense, men get fungal infections in that area as well and from what I understand they can be as bad as any woman's yeast infection. I personally haven't had a yeast infection due to IBS, more like a wet bathing suit.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Caroline:On the opposite side of the coin....it is not myth as I was treated for it twice...the first round of antifungal was not adeaute and it reoccured.It occurs rarely as a comorbidity to IBS or other conditions, not a "cause" of IBS (but you may experience IBS-like symptoms or a worsening of existing IBS symptoms). This does not make it a myth. It makes rare and over-diagnosed.This was responsible for two sudden exacerbations of IBS in remission.The biggest problem is that it is normal flora, and at what point does it stop becoming normal flora and becomes pathogenic, and exactly what constitutes a proper set of differential diagnostic criteria.To suggest that doctors agree on the subject, though, would indeed be a myth.Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike, what i found curious was that when I first developed IBs and they doin't know what it was, I was treated with antiboitics and my symptoms went away completely. Once off of them, Istarted feeling bad again, so I went back on them a few weeks later, and again, felt better, though the effectsd started to wear off 10 days after beginning treatment. It seemed more that coincidental to me that I have had yeats and other pelvic infections since this problem started. Anyway, no doctor I have has been interested in investigating the possibiltiy, so I guess I'm stuck with the symptoms at the momnet, yeast related and otherwise!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Antibiotics kill bacteria.They don't do anything to yeasts.When you kill off the normal flora of the vagina especially with repeated courses of antibiotics that sets you up for a yeast infection in the vagina.Some woman are more prone to this than others and some woman start taking anti-fungal medications (fungi are not bacteria and it takes very different drugs to kill them) whenever they are given antibiotics.Sometimes it takes a while to get the bacterial flora in the vagina back to where it does what it normally does which is supress the population of the yeast that is normally there in very small amounts. The bacteria out-compete the yeast so when the bacterial population is healthy the yeast really do not stand much of a chance. However, when the bacteria are all dead it makes room for the yeast to take over.K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.