Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had both colonoscopy and endoscopy done, which were both clear. I think it's anxiety that's causing my problems, and worry. I worry a lot, all the time, 24/7. I, below, have listed the symptoms of IBS with a description of what I get in relation to them, which most seem to be, well, see for yourself.

- abdominal pain and cramping - often relieved by emptying your bowels; personally, I don't get pain, or cramping. I shall be completely honest and comment that I do not know what cramping is! I can't say I've ever experienced it. Emptying my bowels doesn't make me feel any different, although sometimes I can feel nervous after I've gone, in case something happens (anxiety).
- a change in your bowel habits - such as diarrhoea, constipation, or sometimes both - I don't get diarrhoea or constipation (sometimes I can't go for a day but then I'm fine. I saw constipation is 3 days plus.
- bloating and swelling of your abdomen - I can get bloated rarely, I mean I can get wind, but everyone does, I don't feel like my stomach is an inflated balloon about to pop, and no swelling of the abdomen (i'd notice too, as I am thin).
- excessive wind (flatulence) - I can get wind, but not excessive; every few minutes excessive is no. About once every couple hours, depends on what I've been eating!
- an urgent need to go to the toilet - urgent, this word.... I can get the need to go, sometimes multiple times in the day, but urgent? Only rarely do I feel I have to go otherwise I am going to soil there 'n' then, and that was after a day of travelling from Devon to the Birmingham - travelers diarrhea.
- a feeling that you need to open your bowels even if you have just been to the toilet - I don't feel as though after I've gone, I feel the same as before I went. I can tell I've done something, usually the feeling I get after is that I can do with going again, but it's wind; I don't want to take the risk.
- a feeling you have not fully emptied your bowels - Sometimes I can go and not feel I've done enough, but I'm not on the crapper within minutes. It's a bowel movement before bed usually if I need to go again.
- passing mucus from your back passage (bottom) - I can have mucus when I clean, but, I am also swallowing a lot of mucus from my throat (still from the flu), but that has reduced recently and stool are now a brown colour, as usual, but cleaning is also now brown rather than yellowy green mucus.

So, do you think I have IBS? Or is it just nerves?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well i have almost the same and a doctor told me it could be anxiety

these are my symptoms

1- Lots of sweet around my anus.

2- Lots of farts and burping.

3- Great urge to go use the the toilet, it acts up when i'm around people.

4- My stools are in weird shapes,thin little pieces or sometimes diarrhea.

5- Almost always feel a stool left inside me, which i cannot get out until my next toilet visit.

6- my bowels make lots of noises.

I've had so many studies done to me, and they haven't found anything wrong with me. i have had a colonoscopy and nothing. A doctor told me it was an ANXIETY issue, so i took yoga, relaxation techniques, breathing techniques but everything failed. Someone told me it could be witchcraft , so i try seeing a witch doctor but was too scared jajaj. Anyways please help my email is [email protected], contact me MACAST

·
Registered
36 Posts
It could be anxiety that is now bordering physiological symptoms due to exposure. Stress and anxiety are normal, but since there is such a strong relationship between the brain and the gut, there may be an imbalance of serotonin which is now causing these physiological symptoms. You appear to be trying to put a name on your symptoms though, I mean you could have IBS, but you could also have a strong anxiety which is releasing itself through your gut.

My advice would be to get some advice. CBT is something I recommend to EVERYONE, even people without health issues because CBT is a very good preventative method (like a doctor's checkup) to maintain positive health. Talking out your anxiety will strongly help you, as well as the therapist's assistance for positive thinking which may reduce symptoms. Don't go see a psychiatrist or get medicated, you'll just get some SSRIs that will cause dependency and more health deficiencies in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.