Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,Excellent info came last time I posted here.. "watch diet" - "watch labels" being two of the more prominent ones. Also, the "mind-gut" connection. Interesting stuff, to be sure. Hope none of the info is too graphic.I can give a more accurate symptom description/background I guess if that would help. I never had any sort of digestive problems until the summer of my sixth grade year when I got C pretty bad - only went once every 3-4 days. My doctor prescribed a high fiber diet. A day after I started on it, I had bad gas/D. This lasted for about a week before I went back in, I got taken off and everything was gone - C, D, everything.I was good until about two years ago or five years after the minor incident I mentioned. Basically, the symptoms are - out of nowhere, my large intestine gets "filled up" like a car getting its gas tank filled. I'm going about my business when I feel a rumbling right around my waistline. All of the sudden it hits me that I have to go "right now." I rush to the bathroom and have a massive BM - like I've been holding it for 4+ days. I think its over, but within the next day or so, I have to 'go' 2-5 more times. This happens about once every month and a half on the average. And I'm a guy, so its not any sort of 'cycle' thing and its not related to diet that I can tell.I've already gotten some responses, but I'm looking for more info. Its not serious or life threatening, just annoying, and I'm not sure if its worth seeing my doctor about. Thanks in advanceWS

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Are you generally constipated before these episodes? If so, perhaps your body just needs to offload now and again. If this is the case, you could try eating more fiber and drinking more water on a daily basis. If one type of fiber gives you problems, then try another. Also, introduce more fiber gradually, otherwise you will get pretty uncomfortable. It is common to have more gas and so on when first introducing more fiber.susan

·
Registered
190 Posts
I didn't note any questions, not that I would necessarily know the answers for sure. I guess a note of support since we all know how frustrating the situation is, particularly when you have a pattern but don't know why. This is WAY out there and I don't know if there is even research on this type of thing. I'm sure people will correct me that may have a medical knowledge that is out of my realm. I strongly believe in the mind/gut relationship and feel that this is the source of the problems for IBS'ers. I wonder, do hormones ingeneral (for men too) run in a cuclic fashion? Obviously you aren't dealing with the same hormones as a female...but you would still be looking at the hormones adrenaline, epinephrine, dopamine....etc. Those are the hormones that my anti-depressant work with and so far so good! I am a female and am also regulated with those hormones separately. I wonder if men are looking at the same thing, a women's may just be exacerbated (spelling?) by her cycles.I hope you have the answers and help you are looking for soon!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.