Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a magazine i recently read (Fitness) it had an herbal remedies column. There was a lady who had IBS who had constant symptoms of diarrhea, constipation, and stomach pains. She noted that she started doing yoga to ward off stress and she found that it actually helped her IBS. She stated that the poses they do helped move her bowels around and helped her stay regular. She also stated that the poses they do help keep away stomach pains too. I doctor responded to this and said that it probably helped because the poses were almost massaging her stomach and it helped relieve pains. But they also warned people not to do yoga without a professional so they don't strain themselves. I just got 2 yoga videos for x-mas and i'm seriously considering trying them everyday. I just thought this might be somewhat informative to some of you!!Hope i had a good idea

·
Registered
14,427 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
My husband and I just signed up to start a class beginning on 3/22. I took lessons about 30+ years ago and can't remember if it helped, but I was a great deal younger and did not obsess about every little thing the way I do now.I am hoping it will help with the stress which will also help with the IBS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently purchased a book on Yoga - it's titled "Yoga RX" and it's by a couple of doctors. I've not tried any yet except the breathing exercises but that has helped a little. The book has chapters on how yoga can help almost any problem, IBS, hypertension, back problems, etc. I've been reading it and am anxious to start to see if it helps. It's a very well written book - check it out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny that you mention Yoga, because I was just considering looking into classes. My brother does Yoga (doesn't have IBS) and he loves it. He says it's so helpful to relieve stress. He feels better physically and mentally and he said he sleeps better.If anything, I think we all know/agree that it is a great stress reliever. Though it won't "cure" IBS, it sure would be a great tool to use to help reduce the episodes by relieving your body of stress.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was just wondering,since i posted this, has anyone tried yoga yet? has anyone found any pro's or con's for yoga so far? i still need to get a few things b4 i can start, like a yoga mat! carpet is way too slippery!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also posted a topic starter about this a couple weeks ago because I have been practicing yoga, off and on for over a year now. I've mainly focused on the Yoga for abs routine, which has really helped in strengthening my muscles (although hasn't gotten rid of the flab yet!) But I do notice if I keep it up that it helps reduce my stress, and the movement I believe helps to ease the IBS symptoms. I just need to keep it up and incorporate other yoga routines as well. I just ordered a Yoga for beginners DVD and I'm hoping that will add to my other workout.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been practicing Iyengar yoga for about 5 years now, and dealing with IBS (or something like it) for about 9 years. Most of the time, I'm fine, but every month or two I get these intestinal episodes with discomfort, racing heart, frequent urgent BM's, and if it's bad enough, insomnia, diarrhea, mild fever, chills, & vomiting. They last between 1 and 24 hours, depending on severity.What I'm finding, after a lot of experimentation, is that yoga inversions (where your pelvis is higher than your heart) do me a world of good when I start having symptoms, especially passive/supported inversions. Last week, for the first time, I actually averted what was shaping up to be a moderately bad intestinal episode and was feeling nearly normal in about 3 hours, instead of the 24+ hours it normally takes.I don't recommend trying inversions without having a yoga teacher show you how not to hurt yourself, but none of the other poses have specifically helped me with IBS. In fact, some (mostly twists) seem to make my symptoms worse when my intestines are feeling ornery or sensitive. Most poses involve lifting the pit of the abdomen, and I have to be *very* careful about that or I can make things worse.FYI, my IBS symptoms are generally stress-related, as I've removed all the dietary triggers I've identified. The inversions I do have a tremendously soothing effect. I think they also confuse my intestines by putting them upside-down, sorta changing their perspective and giving them a little space to breathe, so to speak.For those familiar with the poses, here are the ones that help me: Supported sarvangasana (shoulderstand) with bolsters and chair, supported shirshasana (headstand) between chairs, viparita karani (back on floor, butt on firm cushion or bolster, legs/feet up the wall), ardha chandrasana (half-moon pose) with my back and raised leg against the wall.I also have this purple foam portable massage table that allows me to lie face-down with my face supported in a donut cushion (no twisted necks). It's very soothing, and the model I have has a depression for the abdomen, so it's not too much pressure there during sensitive times. When I'm having an IBS episode, I can't comfortably lie on my back or side; that makes my symptoms worse.As with all things, YMMV. Hope this helps someone else as much as it's helped me. I'm happy to answer any questions I can, either here or privately.Lissa

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi - There's a new website specifically for yoga and IBS - it's yogabellys.com There are poses and sequences there for helping different digestive problems. There's also a yoga and IBS message board you can link to from there.I've found yoga to be really helpful - much more so than any other exercise I've ever practiced.Best,Heather

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.