Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I am a long time sufferer of IBS-D and w/o yoga I would have long ago slit my wrists. W/o a med to help this disorder, it has been the only thing that works! Find a yoga class where you live - try several - and find one that fits who you are... I practice Vinyasa Yoga as it is very active and works for my lifestyle/personality.I am also a teacher - have been for 20 yrs - and believe all types are good especially for the stress that evolves with a long term chronic disorder such as IBS. Restorative Yoga is best when you are sleep deprived or really out-of-sorts.Good luck!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I plan to join a beginners class in the Fall. I've used a tape at home but I know it's not the same and I want direct instruction. Is Yoga good also for relaxation techniques and anxiety problems. MY IBS is better, but lately I sometimes feel like I have some anxiety, heart palpitations and light headed faint feelings if I feel crowded w/ a lot of people.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I plan to join a beginners class in the Fall. I've used a tape at home but I know it's not the same and I want direct instruction. Is Yoga good also for relaxation techniques and anxiety problems. MY IBS is better, but lately I sometimes feel like I have some anxiety, heart palpitations and light headed faint feelings if I feel crowded w/ a lot of people.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - yoga is great for all types of anxiety/depression disorders. It really calms the mind and centers the body. Like all exercise, it lifts the spirit and gets the circulation going. There are specific poses for IBS - find a teacher you love - this is very important - interview a few and then ask if they are knowledgeable in poses for medical conditions.You might also want to pick up a copy of YOGA JOURNAL as they often write about poses for IBS. In general, all the forward bending and twisting poses are great for digestive disorders. The inversions and sun salutations are good for anxiety/depression. Sorry, to be so vague, but a good teacher can help you with this.Where do you live? You can go to the Yoga Journal Web Site to find the names/numbers of great teachers. If you live in CA, let me know, I know many!Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes - yoga is great for all types of anxiety/depression disorders. It really calms the mind and centers the body. Like all exercise, it lifts the spirit and gets the circulation going. There are specific poses for IBS - find a teacher you love - this is very important - interview a few and then ask if they are knowledgeable in poses for medical conditions.You might also want to pick up a copy of YOGA JOURNAL as they often write about poses for IBS. In general, all the forward bending and twisting poses are great for digestive disorders. The inversions and sun salutations are good for anxiety/depression. Sorry, to be so vague, but a good teacher can help you with this.Where do you live? You can go to the Yoga Journal Web Site to find the names/numbers of great teachers. If you live in CA, let me know, I know many!Good Luck!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Since I started doing yoga I haven't felt nearly as bad as I use to. I find that when I am in stressful situations and have to run to the bathroom I use the breathing excercises and I start to feel better. It has been a huge help!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Since I started doing yoga I haven't felt nearly as bad as I use to. I find that when I am in stressful situations and have to run to the bathroom I use the breathing excercises and I start to feel better. It has been a huge help!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My favorite yoga video is "Total Yoga" it is by Tracy Rich and Ganga White. It's a bit of a workout and goes a little fast.If you'd rather start out slower, or until you become more familiar with the poses, try the ones called "Yoga for...relaxation, weight loss, etc.Yoga has helped me immensely. It has clamed me, mind and body--and I've found that my anxiety-related IBS attacks, as well as my panic attacks have gone way down! I started out with tapes at home too. Once you know all the poses, and get more experienced, there's nothing like a good class with a live teacher. But, I agree, find someone that you love and are comfortable with. My first experience 6 years ago was a disaster, and I thought I didn't like yoga--now I know it was just that teacher.Good luck to you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My favorite yoga video is "Total Yoga" it is by Tracy Rich and Ganga White. It's a bit of a workout and goes a little fast.If you'd rather start out slower, or until you become more familiar with the poses, try the ones called "Yoga for...relaxation, weight loss, etc.Yoga has helped me immensely. It has clamed me, mind and body--and I've found that my anxiety-related IBS attacks, as well as my panic attacks have gone way down! I started out with tapes at home too. Once you know all the poses, and get more experienced, there's nothing like a good class with a live teacher. But, I agree, find someone that you love and are comfortable with. My first experience 6 years ago was a disaster, and I thought I didn't like yoga--now I know it was just that teacher.Good luck to you!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Demitasse and Shellybelly-What qualifications do you look for in a "good" instructor....I don't want to have to try 4 or 5 until I find one I love. Of course I want to love the one I do find, but son't know what qualifications, credentials, etc. to look for, or even what kind for that matter. I've never tried it (although I have always wanted to) and know nothing about where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cindy

·
Registered
212 Posts
Demitasse and Shellybelly-What qualifications do you look for in a "good" instructor....I don't want to have to try 4 or 5 until I find one I love. Of course I want to love the one I do find, but son't know what qualifications, credentials, etc. to look for, or even what kind for that matter. I've never tried it (although I have always wanted to) and know nothing about where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cindy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, that's a very subjective question. First of all, what type of class are you looking for? Some yoga is very physical (ashtanga, for example)--where youu'd sweat and get a workout. Other classes are more geared towards stress relief-with stretching and some meditation or deep relaxation, and little or no sweating involved.I would speak to the instructor first, if possible, tell them you're a beginner, and what you're looking for. If it's not possible to speak to them before going to class, you can generally tell after only one class if you "click"- Just keep in mind that for me, a "good" class is one which there is no feeling of competition with the other participants. ANd you should be given instruction to stay within your abilities at all times, with modifications given for those who can't perform certain poses. (I don't even look at the others in the class, I just do my own thing- because yoga is very personal, it's for you alone--it's not a competitive sport)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, that's a very subjective question. First of all, what type of class are you looking for? Some yoga is very physical (ashtanga, for example)--where youu'd sweat and get a workout. Other classes are more geared towards stress relief-with stretching and some meditation or deep relaxation, and little or no sweating involved.I would speak to the instructor first, if possible, tell them you're a beginner, and what you're looking for. If it's not possible to speak to them before going to class, you can generally tell after only one class if you "click"- Just keep in mind that for me, a "good" class is one which there is no feeling of competition with the other participants. ANd you should be given instruction to stay within your abilities at all times, with modifications given for those who can't perform certain poses. (I don't even look at the others in the class, I just do my own thing- because yoga is very personal, it's for you alone--it's not a competitive sport)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been using the AM/PM Yoga tapes by ??? I can't remember their names but they are supposed to be "good." It is a good beginner tape. Some of the poses could be held longer and I need to learn to be more patient with the whole "symmetry - if you do it on one side you have to do it on the other" but I have noticed I sleep better now at night after using the PM one. I'm still trying to get up and do the AM one more often. They are only 20 minutes long so they are quick and easy. I ordered mine through Amazon.com

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been using the AM/PM Yoga tapes by ??? I can't remember their names but they are supposed to be "good." It is a good beginner tape. Some of the poses could be held longer and I need to learn to be more patient with the whole "symmetry - if you do it on one side you have to do it on the other" but I have noticed I sleep better now at night after using the PM one. I'm still trying to get up and do the AM one more often. They are only 20 minutes long so they are quick and easy. I ordered mine through Amazon.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.