Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.I have recently started a gentle yoga class for beginners and I wondering if anyone has found yoga to help their IBS symptoms. I have IBS-D and it is very stress induced. I am hoping that if I can relax when I feel an episode coming on I can stop the cycle.I did a search on this topic and I saw that jools asked the same question a few months ago but some time has passed and there wasn't much feedback on her initial post. Thanks.

G

·
I think Yoga is really cool. I just wish I had someone to do it with closeby and not have to go to a Yoga Studio. I especially like the relaxation poses and breathing exercises. I think the Proud Warrior pose is cool. What have you learned so far?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have only been to two classes and don't remember very many of the names of the positions. I am very new to this. I remember the tree pose, the lion, and I think once was called the stretching cat.I like the ones where I can really feel the stretch. Do you find that your IBS has gotten better since starting yoga?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have taken gentle yoga and still do sometimes. I absolutley love it. Make sure you learn how to breath diaphrmatically and use it in your day to day life. Yoga can be an excellent tool to help with IBS. Stress is a trigger and yoga can help to lessen or eliminate that trigger. Also remember that yoga is not an exersize it is a lifestyle. Id you have the time for the class take it. I found that i can help my IBS with breathing techniques that i learned in yoga. If i utilize these techniques i help control how i react to my pain.ArizonaJnz - I am not sure if you actually live in AZ, i do, and i know that there are many universities and cummunity colleges that offer gentle yoga classes

G

·
Bethany2: Yes, I live in Arizona but there are no Yoga classes near me. I wouldn't even think of driving into Phoenix. Perhaps I can find something on cable TV. Thanks for responding. I like Yoga and wish I could stay focused with it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been trying to focus on my breathing when I am stressed out by something. It I focus on the in and out rhythm I can clear my mind of what is going on. I also have a lot of pain with IBS and I hoping to use these breathing techniques to get through it.I am wondering if daily yoga will reduce my over all stress level and not only help me when I have IBS symptoms but maybe prevent them too?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yoga has definitely helped my IBS. Mine was stress-induced, and after a couple of months talking to my therapist and doing yoga regularly, now I just do yoga and don't see a therapist anymore. Yoga is also great because it works your muscles in a gentler way than running or other exercise -- I've been surprised how much it keeps me in shape! I go to classes 3 or 4 times a week.For those who don't live near a yoga studio -- there are tons of yoga tapes that you can do! Look at amazon.com or go to a bookstore, there are yoga tapes for every type -- I even saw one for inflexible people once, considered buying it but I am sticking with my classes. Anyway . . .everyone do yoga!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to my therapist and doctor before starting yoga to get there suggestions.I also have back pain and my doctor thought it would help with my back muscles. My class is only once a week but I am finding myself kind of craving it so I am going to purchase a yoga DVD today so I can relax and stretch at home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.