Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many times that a person with ibs needs to completely avoid dairy. I'm a C and I'm wondering whether this applies more to people with D. It seems to me that more publications/studies deal with D first and make most of the recommendations with a D in mind. I actually think that a cup of yogurt is soothing for my digestive system. I've been on a no-dairy diet for a few days and I don't feel any better. Is it possible that I need the dairy?What do you, other ibs-c folks think? Do you eat dairy (or at least yogurt) often, and how does it make you feel? Thanks!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBSers must avoid all dairy IMO is a myth.The only people who need to avoid all dairy all the time are people who are allergic to dairy protiens.People who are lactose intolerant need to avoid large doses of lactose, but a standard serving of yogurt has less lactose than the amount of milk most lactose intolerant people can tolerate. Yogurt may actually help over time as the bacteria in there do not produce gas when they digest lactose so may reduce the symptoms. Also some probiotic bacteria (the type used to make yogurt out of milk) may be beneficial for some IBSers.Many dairy products have almost no lactose, like aged cheeses so are fine for the lactose intolerant.I can tolerate a small glass of milk or a serving of yogurt, but if I get a large glass of milk or a large milkshake made with real milk I will have really bad problems with gas.K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I eat a probiotic yogurt every day. I don't notice any difference in my symptoms either way I think it is down to the individual as my IBS-D is set off by Wheat, caffeine and alcohol but IBS-C is pretty much constant (unless I eat/drink things I can't). My problem is making sure I get enough fibre in my diet to keep me regular as I can't eat some of the better foods to make life easier for me without getting D for a few days.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm IBS-c, and can eat small amounts of dairy without any problem. Of course, now I have developed acid reflux too, and I'm not sure that dairy is good for that unless it's very low fat. I used to use yogurt, but have found that Culturelle, a special strain of acidophilus much stronger than that found in yogurt, works much better for me. I have a lot less gas with Culturelle. It actually gets through the stomach acid and colonizes in the colon. Really helps me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.