Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get terrible gas, and know that sugar (carbs) do not help. However, isn't the 'friendly' bacteria in yogurt supposed to aid digestion? Should I eat yogurt or not? Everything seems to give me gas, so I can't say that cutting it out helped.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Carbs in general aren't all bad, but some are worse than others. Carbs we absorb almost completely like glucose and rice starch are unlikely to cause problems. It's the ones we don't digest and absorb well that cause problems when they get to the colon.Plain yogurt or the vanilla flavored will probably be the best as they don't add alot of sugar or sweeteners to it. (and you can make your own from milk and live yogurt so you can have more control over what gets added to it)The lactose in it has for the most part been broken down to lactic acid and that is the main concern carb-wise.However you may do better with an probiotic supplement as those are usually chosen for the lives in humans thing where yogurt strains are chosen for the lives good in vats thing.Establishing probiotic species in the GI tract may help with the carbohydrate thing as they do not produce gas from carbs like other colonic bacteria do.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Carbs in general aren't all bad, but some are worse than others. Carbs we absorb almost completely like glucose and rice starch are unlikely to cause problems. It's the ones we don't digest and absorb well that cause problems when they get to the colon.Plain yogurt or the vanilla flavored will probably be the best as they don't add alot of sugar or sweeteners to it. (and you can make your own from milk and live yogurt so you can have more control over what gets added to it)The lactose in it has for the most part been broken down to lactic acid and that is the main concern carb-wise.However you may do better with an probiotic supplement as those are usually chosen for the lives in humans thing where yogurt strains are chosen for the lives good in vats thing.Establishing probiotic species in the GI tract may help with the carbohydrate thing as they do not produce gas from carbs like other colonic bacteria do.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Acidophillis & other active bacteria in yougurt aid against infections, ex. yeast infections etc.If you are looking for a good natural dietary aid...peppermint / ginger pills aid in digestion.Or you can go the regular route...Extra Strength Gas X, the gas cure all. LOL

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Acidophillis & other active bacteria in yougurt aid against infections, ex. yeast infections etc.If you are looking for a good natural dietary aid...peppermint / ginger pills aid in digestion.Or you can go the regular route...Extra Strength Gas X, the gas cure all. LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.