·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to reduce gas?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well there are a couple of things.Which if you look around I've said a bunch of times, but I will restate.1) Stop feeding the bacteria in the colon the food they need to produce gas. So limit things like sorbitol and resistant starches and things like beans and cabbage.2) Put different bacteria in there. Probiotics do not produce gas from the digestion of the carb including the things I listed above.3) If a three day fast doesn't change your fart frequency it could be swallowed air and then you need to change the habits that are causing the air swallowing (usually people have gas because they feed the bacteria and have gas producing bacteria).http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs12.htm has a gas reducing diet if you want to try that.K.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a fact that starch cause bloating.Eg:if you eat one or 2 toast before a meal,you will be bloated.Maybe i should reduce glucose since i got so bloated with the glucose breath test.At least this test would have been useful(
)Flux,gas cause bloating.What do you think makes the bowel so swelled?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A fast for me=stay in bed because i have hypoglycemea.I wonder about potassium leak from the bowel,i have read about it and leaky gut.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
glucose is almost always completely absorbed before it gets to the colon.It is the things you DO NOT absorb well that cause problems.Distension can be a response to pain rather than gas, and you can not really tell if swollen belly means swollen intestines. it could be you pouching out to avoid putting pressure on tender innards.K.

·
Registered
271 Posts
1) Stop feeding the bacteria in the colon the food they need to produce gas. So limit things like sorbitol and resistant starches and things like beans and cabbage.i really want to limit these things too... but i hvae no idea what has sorbitol, and resistance starches in it. I tried to look it up on the internet but its so confusing.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flux,i finally found a graphic to explain spasms in the K link:

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it makes sense the water leaving the colon.What do you think?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look like too much Permeability.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The link to the diet I gave pretty much covers it. the gicare.com link
doesn't the link work for you?Sorbitol. Sugarless candies and gums. Raw and juices and dried versions of apples, pears, peaches and cherries. Oh and plums/prunes (sorbitol also can loosen stools which is why prunes do work for constipaton) Cooking/canning the fruit destroys the sorbitol in them.Resistant starch. If you go to any of the Glycemic index sites it is the starchy foods that tend to have lower Glycemic indexes as you can't get it all into the blood as glucose really fast. Rice of the starchy foods tends to have the lowest amounts of resistant starch (and often the highest GI rating). This is why the gas reducing diet I linked to uses rice rather than wheat (which usually has lots of resistant stach in it) for the grain in most meals.K.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently,some people claims we don't produce more gas.I have difficulty to beleive that because many IBSers complain of too much gas.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The thing is most people who complain of gas do not complain about how much they fart. (a few do but most with "gas" talk about everything but farting more than usual)So it is hard to know what they mean by "gas" (pain, bloating, distension are all things that might be gas, might not be gas, but all culturally get blamed on gas even if there is no evidence for any of them to be gas)For example, believe most people use the at least where I grew up cultural tradition that any pain in the abdomen is a "gas pain". That is just what we called them. People have to have some reason there is pain, and everyone farts sooner or later, so gas gets the blame when I think most of the time it is an innocent bystander.I am one of the very few people here who actually does talk about having an elevated fart frequency. The problem is I had that higher than normal daily farts long before I had IBS and after the IBS was under control. It was the same before during and after. And as predicted probiotics reduce that. IBSers have more pain. Normal levels of gas production may be painful for IBSers when it is well tolerated by normal people. If you are not farting more than you used to, you aren't producing more gas now that you have IBS. You probably don't tolerate the gas you used to tolerate just fine. Some of the clinical studies that measure volume see no difference, but there does seem to be distribution issues in IBSers. So some people may not be moving the gas they do have around properly making it more likely that they get symptoms from the amount of gas they used to tolerate just fine.So some people may get relief from going from their normal level of gas production to a below normal level of gas production. If reducing gas reduces symptoms it does NOT mean that you have more than normal or more than you had before IBS.K.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I have difficulty to beleive that because many IBSers complain of too much gas.
There have been a lot of people posting on the BB all these years, in the thousands, perhaps, and I'd say fewer than two dozen people made claims that suggested they had excess gas. So ancedotally, excess gas seems to be a very rare problem. According to the medical literature, there are only 2 people with this problem. That doesn't sound like very many.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think we are full of gas Flux.In the Pimentel webcast in MTL he said that ours complains are real.If you didn't followed my post on the symposium,you have miss a lot of good presentations.Oh and he did mention King's research.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Kath- Your sig. is too cute! I need your help again with my internal woes that are not letting up on me.
I have been having more pain than usual in my ovary area & the only thing that relieves the pain is the huge, man sized farts I have been letting.
I have also been bleeding after bm's which is probably because of my constipation problem but even if it is a small amount of poo there is blood in it everytime I go. It hurts around my left ovary area when I push to have a b.m. & when I sit down I have to ease myself into a chair because if I sit too fast it feels like my ovary is going to bust any minute and (sorry too much info) but it hurts during intercourse. I dont have any female problems - I went to my gyno 2 months ago & told her about the pain & she brushed it off like it was nothing - I asked her if it was normal to bleed EVERY time I poo & she said it was probably a fissure from the feces scratching on its way out, that is logical but what about the pain in my ovaries? I am thinking about switching to another doc, but they are all the same. I get more help from this forum!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Are you sure it is ovaries, or where the colon goes next to them on each side.It is generally kinda hard to determine exactly which organ is the one that is hurting.For the bleeding you probably need to go to your general doctor and if need a GI doctor.Try seeing if pepperming helps with the pain (as long as it doesn't make your heart burn worse) It can for some people and does not seem to be as constipating as some of the prescription antispasmodics. I use Altoids as they seem to have enough peppermint oil in them to be effective and they are cheap and easy to get around here if I need more.That farts relieve the pain tends to point me to colon rather than ovary as source of pain.http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/ has a lot of info on fissures that might be useful for you.If it doesn't heal up on its own you may need to have it looked after by a GI doctor.K.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thank you! I will try the peppermint, heck I would do just about anything at this point. I actually have to bear down to pass gas but once it is out I feel better - so I am thinking I am just full of s**t & gas & that is causing the pain. Do you know of anything that helps you pass gas?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you have a hard time relaxing the sphincters to get stuff out, especially if it should pass easily (Hard dry stools are hard for anyone to pass) you might need to have the pelvic floor tested and do biofeedback to retrain the muscles to relax when they should.Some people find that gently pushing downward with your hand along the crack can sometimes help stuff come out. So pushing on the rectum from the outside.If you think it is just dry and hard to pass a glycerine suppository can sometimes lubricate things enough so they come out easier.For some people walking, yoga, or T'ai Chi may help them pass gas. Farting in clas for yoga and T'ai Chi is a fairly common occurance. They twist the body in ways that sometimes makes things move along better.K.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You have been such a help Kath! Thanks! I am going to ask my doc about the pelvic exam & maybe doing biofeedback. I would like to try yoga & t'ai chi but It would be my luck to get in one of those yoga positions with my face next to my behind & letting one rip!
Oh well a necessary evil I guess. Have a safe & Happy New Year!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.