Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote previously about my 13 year old son's recent diagnosis of IBS. Several questions if you guys could....I realize that everyone is different, but...As I said before, he's always had a nervous stomach with a tendency toward explosive diarrhea. But once he "went", he was OK. 5 wks ago, this started..severe abdominal cramps but no blood in stool. Having a bowel movement helps for only a few minutes. The pain is fairly constant but the diarrhea is intermittent-worse some days than others. He wakes up in terrible pain each morning and immediately has a bowel movement then is in terrible pain at night and after eating. The Levsin, and the Symax before that, don't seem to work. The GI doc's office said it'll take 3 to 5 days to work. Great!! Do any of you have similar experiences? Also, the Caltrate..does it "plug" you up? That's scary for him because then it hurts like heck but nothing will come out-or does it help the pain? Thanks for your help. I wish it were me instead of him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I feel like I know exactly what your son is going through, and I'm so sorry that he has to be dealing with this horrible stuff so young. I too started with this when I was a child, and I still have it. Or, at least until last week.......Caltrate Plus is wonderful. It really seems to "calm" the intestines. It does not cause constipation, if taken in moderation. I suggest that he try some right away. After taking my first dose, I was 100% better in just a few hours. The pain stopped, the diarrhea stopped. Just normal stools. Amazing!! I take two a day, some people take three. Please try it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TB-he loved you name, by the way, and could REALLY relate to it!!!------------------Pam

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Count me in - but I only take one Caltrate Plus a day - more than that doesn't seem necessary for me. I can't believe it, but I really think I've now got this under control!If he "stops up", he can take a fiber supplement like Metamucil. This sounds weird, but even though I have the D-type, my doc put me on metamucil three times a day when it was really bad, and it really helped to slow stuff down in there. I know it's indicated for constpation, but for some reason it worked with my diarrhea.Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.