Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 44 yrs old with Spina Bifida.I have always had what I was told was IBS-D. Daily diarrhea, stomach pain, bloating, gas.It has been getting worse over the last 3 years so I saw my doctor after doing research on the Net.We decided to put me on a gluten free diet for a month and what do you know? I have been diarrhea free for the past month by giving up gluten.It has been very hard and restrictive, but well worth it.I tested negative for Celiac disease but she said those blood tests are wrong most of the time.Anyway who suffers daily diarrhea may want to give up gluten for a month and see if your symptoms clear up.This is the first time in 20 years that I have gone a month without the diarrhea and stomach pain and bloating.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is hard to know if it is the gluten or the starch.A recent study showed a low carb diet (that didn't make sure every last molecule of gluten from food additives was avoided) helps a lot for IBS-D.Starchy foods (and the gas made from left over starches) seem to be a problem for a lot of IBS-D types. Many people with Celiac don't get a lot of relief from a gluten free diet until they get extremely vigilant about ever last food additive in every last thing they eat, even a minor slip up from one meal can set off symptoms for days on end. If you are starch intolerant you usually get better a lot faster than someone with celiac (but may need to avoid some of the grains and starches they use) and generally don't suffer nearly as much from someone in the restaurant not washing off a stir spoon well enough between meals, and minor cross contamination can be all it takes to set off a celiac.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i have done both a blood test and then also a gastroscopy. Both said I was healthy.The bloodtest isn't reliable at all but what about the gastroscopy where they took small bits from my insides?I heard that it is a reliable test but then I also heard someone who said it was useless since the sample is taken from the stomach while the problems occur in the small intestines.What is correct here? Can I trust the gastroscopy or do I have to try this diet for months?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sweetwheels - glad you figured out what the cause was. After how many days on the gluten free diet did you notice significant changes for the better? I've tried this diet twice for 30 days each and I didn't feel any benefits at all and I've heard that if it is indeed gluten that you should start feeling better very quickly on this diet. Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's very interesting. I had 2 blood tests for gluten and each one said that there wasn't a problem. I've never heard that the tests aren't very reliable? Thanks for the info perhaps it might be worth a shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts