Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cant find the trigger foods my self one day is different from the next Please Post your (for sure ones) or coffee or tea?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Karl - it is very hard to find triggers as it is so individual. However, some of mine are caffine, milk, peanuts, spices, fats, corn, seeds of any sort. I have mentioned some that I have an intolerance to because sometimes it is an intolerance that sets you off. And, I can eat corn on the cob, but not canned or frozen corn. I have found it is the shell or husk on the corn bits that kill me. Of course, stress turns me inside out also. and being over tired, damp warehouses, air conditioners - and on and on.Good luck finding all of yours. It has been a life long project for me.bj33

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karl - it is very hard to find triggers as it is so individual. However, some of mine are caffine, milk, peanuts, spices, fats, corn, seeds of any sort. I have mentioned some that I have an intolerance to because sometimes it is an intolerance that sets you off. And, I can eat corn on the cob, but not canned or frozen corn. I have found it is the shell or husk on the corn bits that kill me. Of course, stress turns me inside out also. and being over tired, damp warehouses, air conditioners - and on and on.Good luck finding all of yours. It has been a life long project for me.bj33

·
Registered
880 Posts
I highly recommend keeping a journal for at least 3 months. Write down everything... from foods you eat and amounts to stress you felt that day to symptoms you had. Then analyze it every so often. I learned a lot from mine. For example, I found that I can eat tomatoes, and I can eat corn, but if I eat both in the same day I get D or nausea. I don't think I would have ever discovered that if I was trying to remember what I ate in my head. I also learned that 6 small meals a day works better for me, with the smallest meals in the morning, working my way up to more food in the afternoon.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I highly recommend keeping a journal for at least 3 months. Write down everything... from foods you eat and amounts to stress you felt that day to symptoms you had. Then analyze it every so often. I learned a lot from mine. For example, I found that I can eat tomatoes, and I can eat corn, but if I eat both in the same day I get D or nausea. I don't think I would have ever discovered that if I was trying to remember what I ate in my head. I also learned that 6 small meals a day works better for me, with the smallest meals in the morning, working my way up to more food in the afternoon.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
KARL:Hi. If you read this book you will understand that trying to isolate dietary problems for patients with IBS using methods designed for food allergy is often difficult and only very modestly effective. And you will not only understand why but then what your options are to be able to approach the whole problem with maximum effectiveness. best chance of self-directed success!!!�FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT�, Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings� College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL________________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
KARL:Hi. If you read this book you will understand that trying to isolate dietary problems for patients with IBS using methods designed for food allergy is often difficult and only very modestly effective. And you will not only understand why but then what your options are to be able to approach the whole problem with maximum effectiveness. best chance of self-directed success!!!�FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT�, Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings� College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL________________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with Mannie that it is essential to keep a food diary. As he said, many things will show up that you will not see unless you are writing things down. Since many symptoms develop hours and sometimes days later, you may not recall what foods you ate. It is only when you see, over and over again, the same foods showing up prior to an attack that you can suspect a trigger food. Even then, you must eliminate that food for a long period of time,and then reintroduce it and note any reccurence of symptoms. The process IS long and time-consuming BUT it pays off because you will begin to get some control over your life and health. Good luck. Redfern

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with Mannie that it is essential to keep a food diary. As he said, many things will show up that you will not see unless you are writing things down. Since many symptoms develop hours and sometimes days later, you may not recall what foods you ate. It is only when you see, over and over again, the same foods showing up prior to an attack that you can suspect a trigger food. Even then, you must eliminate that food for a long period of time,and then reintroduce it and note any reccurence of symptoms. The process IS long and time-consuming BUT it pays off because you will begin to get some control over your life and health. Good luck. Redfern

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Some people's IBS isn't made worse by particular foods.My D triggers are coffee, chilli, sour cream, creme fraiche, soya, haricot beans, salad, fruit (excpet bannanas, tinned pears and small amounts of dried fruit), raw veggies, fatty food. Wheat also aggravates things like bloating and heartburn. Onion family causes heartburn but no IBS symptoms (onion, leek, chive etc). ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS[This message has been edited by wanderingstar (edited 07-05-2001).]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.