Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Mexico and my doctor diagnosed IBS on me, i'm 24 years old, i'm a Male, and he prescribed Zelmac, the thing that kinda bugs me is that, i've been doing some research, and have only found that Zelmac is preescribed for women, never fpund anything about male patients.Another thing, i rarely have pain, but do have the tipical "emergencies" when i eat something greasy, is my doctor correct on the prescription?Thank You

·
Registered
380 Posts
Vcarlos,I have been prescribed Zelmac here in Switzerland,and the leaflet inside the packet clearly states that this drug is for female patients with IBS.I think other people on this site have quoted studies that showed that Zelmac was far more effective in female patients than male and the reasons for this are unclear.The important thing is,has the drug had any positive results for you yet?Maybe you'll be one of the lucky men who get some benefit.As for the diagnosis,IBS seems to be such a vague thing.I don't have pain either but have had problems with bloating and constipation for a long time.My Gastroenterologist told me recently that I fit the most recent criteria for diagnosing IBS - but only because I asked him!!Sometimes I wonder if I really do have IBS or if it's just an easy way out for doctors when they can't find any other reason for people's symptoms .

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
the whole male/female thing is very confusing for a lot of people. basically it's because the research wasn't done on men. Men tend to be left out when drugs are marketed and the info you're reading is for marketing the product basically.doctors go by what they think will help. for example if you do some research you'l find that loronex was ddeveloped and marketed for women but turned out to help a lot of men.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that the drug has helpped, i've been taking it for about 2 weeks now, and i feel better, have less gas, but still have the ocational "emergencies" but, i'll have to admit that less often, i couldn't find on the box that the drug is for women only.The only thing is that i hope that the drug keeps having good effects on me, and that is not only a temporary thing or it's due only to a change in my diet.A question: Does anyone think that maybe the positive effects i've had are from the changes in my diet only, or the drug is having possitive effects on me, or both?

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's difficult to know if you started both things at the same time.I can only say that,for me,Zelmac began to work better when I made changes to my diet.However,now the Zelmac seems not to be working so well.My diet hasn't changed.Who knows what's going on?We're all a bit in the dark here.Glad you've had some good results anyway !

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
In the clinical drug trials Zelnorm was tested on both men and women. Unfortunately not a lot of men signed up for the clinical drug trials and the ones that did on average didn't have much luck with Zelnorm, so Novartis had to press on with just getting approval for women or else drop entirely. Doctors can still prescribe it for men, but its an off label use of it. Mexico does not have to comply with FDA regulations, which is why there is nothing about the drug being approved for women only.Hard to know if it is the diet or the Zelnorm that is helping you. Just be careful not to take too much Zelnorm. Most people find 3 mg. to 6 mg. a day is optimal (not 12 mg.), but everyone has to play with their dosage until it's right for their system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.