Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new here! I am only 17 but have been dealing with IBS-c for the past few years. Anyway to make a long story short, I am like all of you who struggle with fiber one, metamucil, prune juice and laxatives but see little progress.My mom finally had had it and took me to a doctor who prescribed Zelnorm.Most people I see talk about it are on the 6mg twice a day.My doctor prescribed me the 2mg, why is this? He gave me some 6mg samples but I never took them and I just started with the 2mg. I had instant results! Hours after I took it, it felt like a hamster running through my colon, lol!Now I take it at 5:00 a.m.- then I go back to bed till 6:00 when I grab myself a cup of coffee (warm liquids getcha movin!) and I sit at the computer and wait untill I need to go have a BM. For some reason, the whole computer chair postition gets me in the right set up, lol.After I use the bathroom , then I grab some breakfast!Then I take my second zelnorm at 3-4 o'clock p.m. b/c I usually have dinner between 5and 6.Also, I make sure I dont eat anything after lunch with is usually around 12 o'clock.I was wondering what kind of doses everyone is on, if you take Zelnorm.2mg? 6mg?Twice a day, Once a day?Everyday?My mom wants to see if I only need it once a day by cutting out one of my doses, but I am too afraid to mess things up, I have had such great results-everyday!Do you think I should just stick with taking it twice a day?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Polkadot, I have been on Zelnorm for 3 months. I take one 6mg pill twice a week (every Wed&Sun)When i first used it, i took one 6mg pill everyday, but it made me very sick, so my doctor suggested to cut my dosage. People have different reactions to Zelnorm- some good and some bad. Your doctor probably wanted to see if the lower dosage was enough for you, and obviously it is. You can try experimenting and seeing if you can live off a lower dosage.I tried all those laxatives and they dont work, at least not on me. Zelnorm is good, but i still get attacks where i dont go to the bathroom for days- then i take this herbal tea which is the only thing that helps. I usual take the zelnorm when i wake up and wait an hour until i eat. Then i have normal frequent bm throughout the day. Hope this helps and welcome to the group

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Welcome and glad to hear Zelnorm works for you! If you've found a doesage that works why mess with it?? I take 6mg in the a.m. and that seems to work OK. Adding a 2nd dose didn't do anything for me but alot people need that 2nd dose.

·
Registered
143 Posts
PolkaDot,I take 6mg twice a day, which was working for a while but now I've gotten into a bad spot again . . .but anyway, I found that the nighttime pill didn't do anything for me either. But, since it's so easy to get your system out of whack, I would definitely keep taking 2 pills a day if it's working for you! A BM every morning makes life much happier
I hope to get back to that soon. Yay Zelnorm...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like I am going to cry......Yesterday I didn't have a bm.I did my normal morning routine, my stomach kinda got all twisted like I needed to go, so i went to the potty but no poo, lol.I just couldn't get it out, It was like i kept tensing up or somthing. I tried relaxing but then finally the urge to go just wen't away and I felt like #### all day. I took 4mg that afternoon and had a small bm this mroning but nothing really satisfying.I am so nervouse b/c I have a horse show this weekend which means My schedule is going to be thrown way off and I have to use a public potty.I can never go when I am away from home.Should I even bother with taking the zelnorm if I know i am not going to be able to go?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi PolkaDot - know just how you feel. Been fine for months and months since my colonoscopy and yesterday morning, don't know why (probably due to a job interview i did not want to go to for a job i really don't want. LOL) i was all cramped out and nothing happened. Finally took 6mg of Zelnorm that i keep around the medicine chest for emergencies such as these and within three hours emptied myself out with the trots. I don't take Z regularly, just at moments like these. To preempt this happening again this morning, I woke around 4am and took 3mg (a half pill) and went back to bed then got up an hour later and so far so good....But i totally understand what you're going thru and as a horsewoman myself, i know all about those portapotties at horse shows, totally vile! Good luck, dear. And perhaps a big bowl of stewed prunes at bedtime might help.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Polkadot,I used to take 12 mg twice a day. started out on a smaller dose but eventually the zelnorm lost its efficacy (sp?). Now I only take it every once in a while and it is much more effective. When i do take it, i take it first thing in the morning, I go to the gym, then i swing by the coffee shop, afterwards i come home and sit in front of the computer and drink my coffee. Works like a charm. Sitting in my computer chair for some reason has always been a bit of help. Actually now that i can't take zelnorm all the time i still drink coffee every morning and that along with sitting at my computer really helps. Coffee is good for constipation because of the caffiene which is a g.i. stimulant. Anyway just thought that it was interesting that the computer thing works for you also. Good luck with the zelnorm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had instant success with Zelnorm my first two days. But after that, just stomach cramps (really bad!) no more BMs.I hope this is not the case for you. Keep trying new things (new routines) it seems as though bowels start trouble when they get used to things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, that is really wierd about the whole computer chair thing.Zelnorm is still working for me and it had been almost a month.I mean every singe morning, I wake up and grab my cup of coffee and somtimes as soon as I sit down I need to go......Works for me!I do however eat an apple a day or a pear. along with bananas and other fiberas fruits.I eat many many veggies too! And I am a vegetarian so I eat alot of grains.I eat a bowl of fiberone huney clusters every two days two! lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.