Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
This is a real good question. Would also love to hear the answer.What about someone who has been dependent on irritant laxatives? I know it can be dangerous to come off abruptly and have been pretty ill doing so, however with Zelnorm it may be different, or then again, taking the laxatives may inhibit the effectiveness of the med (??) Anyone else in this situation??Maybe I might have to taper off gradually until Zelnorm "kicks in". Any suggestions?The fiber issue is a good one ... what about other dietary and behavioral changes that may help or inhibit the effectivenes? Any suggestions, feedback or advice?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have found that eating a bowl of fiber cereal every day is better tolerated now that I am taking Zelnorm. There is no cramping or gas and it bulks up the stool to make for easier passing. The Zelnorm is not a laxative, it gets the bowel stimulated to cause my lazy muscles to move, if you don't drink fluids and eat fiber you may have frequent bowel movements but they may still be small hard nuggets. When I add fiber I will have a BM every day, if I get lazy and don't eat it I may only go two to three times a week.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks, it helps to know that. I guess once the colon starts moving, it needs something to work against. Do you drink lots of water after eating or with Zelmac or just generally throughout the day.My problem is that I struggle with water due to the pain, gas and bloating, however hopefully Zelnorm will help with that ... have to break the cycle somewhere I guess.When you take the tablet, do you have it with plain water, or fruit juice ... does it make any difference?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone, just found this informative chatting about zelmac. My doctor has just prescribed me this- I am interested to know if it works, as I have severe motility problems - suffering from obstructions. The problem is the price-how on earth do you afford it! I am a uni student with little income - what do I do?? allison

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, it does work. Not for everyone, but for quite a few. I don't know how much it costs in A$, but for those of us in the US, it is not so bad to buy from Mexico. I also don't know if the pharmacy that generally sells it into the US will ship to Australia, but you can ask them. The e-mail address is sales###pharmaparadise.com. You'll get a quote in US$, but they will charge you in Mexican pesos.Steven

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Metoo,I take Zelnorm with a glass of water before breakfast and supper. I try to drink lots of fluids (water, juice, tea) each day to keep hydrated. I have never found that taking Zelnorm causes me to go the the washroom quickly. What I have found is that the frequency has changed from going every few weeks to being able to go sometimes once a day. I found within days the bloating was gone, as well as the abdominal pains and twinges. I have been able to eat fiber cereal since taking Zelnorm and that helps very much. I take 6 mg twice a day and have no side effects.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Toodie, Thank you soooo much, that is so very encouraging, just what I need lately
I've been feeling somewhat discouraged and thought Zelnorm was only for mild to moderate cases. Irritant laxatives and enemas hardly work for me, and the pain is so bad I can barely function and can no longer leave the house.I do yoga several times a day, everyday but it only helps for about half an hour, then I cant move.I do struggle to drink water because of the pain, however I am hoping that Zelnorm will help with this as well as being able to eat and just generally regain some quality of life.How long did it take before it started working for you, and were you taking any laxatives prior to going on it?Thanks again for your support and encouragement and keep up the good work .... I am soooooo happy for you. It is so good to hear success stories!
Hope to hear lots and lots more!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Steven, thank you so much for your information on Zelmac I am e-mailing them in a second to find out more. I was told in Australia it costs $120 for the largest quantity-I may have to buy it as I have had severe left hand sided pain since september following on from a bowel obstruction. I am only 23 years old-but the doctors say the bowel is as slow as an 80 year olds!! Thanks Steven, your reply was much appreciated, allison

·
Registered
349 Posts
allio,Did they do a motility test to determine the transit time of your gut!jo-jo,Great news ... keep us posted. I'm so happy for you.
Maybe there is hope for us after all. Is the drug available where you are?Keep smiling ... this is wonderful
Do you have health insurance? Wont they pay for it? It is kind of expensive, however if it helps I think its worth every cent, even if there's means we can't afford to eat! (LOL)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi me-too, nice to hear of your concern. My doctor thinks a motility test isn't warranted as they know it's a motility problem already, but I'll be seeing him on monday so I will be asking him to done!!Thanks metoo, I'll keep you posted. Ihave cover but it only takes 20% off - bit dear huh?? ciao for now!!allio

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Metooo,Prior to taking Zelnorm I was using Dulcolac? I think that is how you spell it. This is the only laxative they let you use for emergencies during the Zelnorm trials so I figured it must be a good one. In the past I have tried Senna, fiberchoice and my good old standby CitroMag.Once I started taking the Zelnorm it worked within two days. For me Zelnorm is a blessing. It worked the whole 12 weeks I was on the trial. Once I came off it I was devastated to find myself back to "normal". The "C" was back within a week and the bloating was something I had forgot about and was hard to get used to again. The nurse from the Trials called and asked me if they could give my name and phone number to Novartis, they wanted to talk to me because it worked so well on me. (I have not heard from them). I find that now I am back on it I can eat and not feel pain.Sometimes I go several times a day,not "D" though and sometimes just once a day. It may not work for everyone. The package info states for treatment of IBS-abdominal pain, discomfort and constipation. The Zelnorm dosage is 6 mg twice daily prior to a meal. Zelnorm only comes in 6 mg tablets. I think the Zelmak from Mexico is in 3 mg tablets because you do not need a prescription for it, however, it is still made by Novartis so it should be just as good.It would not hurt to try it for one month. That is what the info says. If it doesn't work within that time frame it is not for you. I am interested in the yoga. How do you think it helps you? Is it easy to learn?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Toodie,Great to hear your success with Zelnorm. Do you take it half an hour before meals and only with water? Do you think it would work less effectively if I took it with barley grass juice because that is the only liquid I can consume without causing further pain, however it is a kind of a food. I would think it would be best on a completely empty stomach. problem is that I have to take my other meds just before meals and can only take them with the Greens drink.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Tom,I just read in some of your other postings that you find Zelnorm depresses you. That is listed as one of the possible side effects on the insert.Just thought I'd let you know. Perhaps taking it with an antidepressant may neutralize the effect. Hope this helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.