Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started taking Zelnorm on Monday, one 6 mg tablet 2 times a day. While I've had only a slight reduction in constipation thusfar, I've had an ENORMOUS reduction in gas and bloating. I'm really very happy with this med. I've had severe IBS-C/G for four years, and this is the one and only med that has helped with the intestinal gas problem. Hopefully, it will become more effective for my constipation, but even if it doesn't I'll continue to take it for the gas reduction benefits.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I posted somthing in the C forum, but can't get the docs I go to to call me back. I want to try this stuff. Thanks for letting us know about the good results with the G.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Nev,Great to hear that Zelnorm is helping you with the G problem. A few questions: Did it start working the first time that you took it? Do you take it before/during or after meals? Are you experiencing any side effects?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Flower girl:The studies were done on people with C and alternating C and D. They do not recommend that you use it if you are D as it can actually cause D. Many people experience D when they first go on it although it is supposed to subside after a day or two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Shar. Zelnorm did start working on the G the first time I took it. It didn't help with the C so I upped it to 12 mg in the am starting yesterday, and it seems to be helping - can't really say yet for sure. The gas problem came back during my period (my symptoms have always been much worse during that time). After my period, the Zelnorm began working again. Next month, I'll try taking the 12 mg during my period and see what happens.I take it first thing in the morning about 15 min or so before breakfast. I take the second dose (still at 6 mg) mid-afternoon to early evening, whenever I remember, again before eating. Re side effects, I had horrible headaches the first few days, no longer. I never experienced D, even at the higher dose I've been taking since yesterday.Have you started on Zelnorm yet? If so, what has been your experience?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Nev,I tried Zelnorm for a few days but it didn't seem to help. My main sympton is G. I get bloated but not too badly and I am not really constipated. Is Zelnorm still helping you with the G? One more question - I think that I started having excessive gas around the time on went on the birth control pill - has anybody else noticed a correlation?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, Zelnorm is still working well for me on the gas problem. I have, though, in the last couple of days cut my dose back to the 6mg 2x/day as prescribed (instead of 12mg in the am and 6mg in the pm as I had been doing). Though the effect on C was more pronounced at the higher dose, I felt the higher dose was making me "gassy" (not as much as pre-Zelnorm, but I was virtually gas-free on the lower Z dosage). Having cut back, the Zelnorm is working great again on the G.Re the birth control issue, my experience has been the opposite of yours. If I don't take the pill, my IBS (C/G) has historically been worse, much worse all month long. (As I mentioned in an earlier post, even on Zelnorm my IBS was bad during my period. I'll have to wait and see whether the Zelnorm helps during that time in future months. Will probably try the higher dosage during that week only next month.) I know that not everyone here thinks hormones play a role in IBS symptoms, but my own experience - over years - tells me different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.