Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried Zelnorm back in 2002 and it didn't work for me. It made me have bad stomach cramps and massive bloating. Since then I have dealt with my ibs on my own and had a hysterectomy in September of 06. My new GI doc wants to try new meds and put me back on Zelnorm to give it another try. I started on 6mg 2x a day with not much change except massive nausea for about 2 hours after I take it. I cut back to 3mg 2x a day and feel a little better but still have the nausea. Anyone else experience the nausea? The reason I ask is because I have a few other medical mysteries that haven't been solved since my surgery - chest pain and numbness in left arm and under left breast. I have been tested and poked and proded for months and am currently taking a break from all the doctors.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nausea, headaches, a bit of increased anxiety, appetite increase are all common side effects with Zelnorm. These should pass to a large degree if you keep using the medication. Clinically, the most effect dose over the long term is 6mg 2x a day. The only way to know if it's going to work is to take the suggested dose for a period of time, and if it doesn't work a lot of people use it periodically just to relieve constipation.Dana

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes, I get nausea on a daily basis. It last for 1 to 3 hours and varies between mildly annoying to very unpleasant. I'm on 6mg a day.Overall I think Z is helping so I just put up with it.Pete

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am on Zelnorm and seem not to have any trouble from it but a mild headache occasionally. Amitiza is the culprit of my nausea. I've tried everything to fight it because I'd rather deal with an hour or two of nausea then 24 hours of constipation, bloating...anyway what I have found to be helpful is eatting peppermint altoids. I start eatting them after my morning dose and continue occasionally for the next hour or so. Every time the nausea starts creeping up on me, I pop a couple more. When it's really bad I also take a liquid ginger supplement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.