Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!I've been IBS with C for more than 20 years. I heard wonders about Z, so I decided to try it. I started taking Z 3 weeks ago, twice a day before meals, and I get immediate D every time, plus arrhytmhia. Has anyone had this symptoms?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Are you having heart arrythmias? Not sure if that is what you mean. Have you read on the insert if Zelnorm causes arrythmia? I did not experience that but did experience D the 1st few weeks. I only take it once a day, not twice. Maybe 2x day is too much for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, yes I have heart arrythmias, and I still don't know if they are related to Zelnorm, but I think so, because D and arrythmias started at the same time. I stopped taking Z last week, because of it, and now all my old symptoms are back. I am so disappointed! I used to take Bentyl, for 2 years, and it worked great for a while, so now I am kind of lost. I'll try to find a new doctor in my area (Manchester NH). Have you heard about those mint coated pills for bloating and pain?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Did your arrythmias stop after you quit taking Z? I had the same experience as Tiss. Diarrhea for a few weeks. Maybe you were taking the medicine to close together. If you would take it before meals, that might have been to close in time. I take my in the morning and at night before bed. I haven't heard about the mint coated pills. What are they called?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you are talking about enteric coated peppermint oil capsules. Supposed to make it into the large intestine and then dissolve. I tried this years ago but didnt notice any benefit. But everyone is different.Reena

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I only take 1 6mg tablet in the morning, right when I get out of bed--with a large glass of water. Totally empty stomach. Then, I drink coffee until I go. I don't eat anything until after I have a BM. My doctor wants me to take it twice a day but it works fine once a day and it is so expensive!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My doctor told me to take it before meals, but I'll give it a last try, and I'll take it at night or morning. The arrhytmias are almost gone after 5 days without Z., but I have the pain, bloating and C back like in the old days! Thank you for the feedback!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My doctor also gave me Zelnorm the other day. I went to the doctor the other day thinking it was my gallbladder giving me problems. When they did the ultrsound on my gallbladder it showed that my stomach was still full from eating the night before. I have been having this full filling in my stomach for a couple of weeks. I have also been losing alot of weight because I did not won't to eat because of the full filling. So the other day the doctor gave me a sample of Zelnorm and told me to take half twice a day. Now I have the big D so bad that I am getting really weak from this. I am also filling very flushed and hot like I am going to faint today. I really do not understand what is going on and I am really getting scared. If any one is having these problems from this medicine please let me know.Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've had C & D alternating for 15 years. Zelnorm really helped, but I got insomnia and what felt like tacchycardia. I don't think I'll be able to continue the drug, but I'm praying they may come out with another version of it. It really worked. Arrhythmia sounds serious. Definitely tell your MD. prayers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts