Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the UK. Can anybody tell me how to get Zelnorm? I asked my doctor about it a 2nd time today and again she says she doesn't know what it is and as it isn't on the practices computer system she wont prescribe it. I took her a print out that I downloaded from the internet and she hardly galnced at it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
different practices use different drugs. im not sure if its even available in the UK. i take cipralex as an anti depressant to help my ibs symptoms. it might be worthwhile asking your doctor what anti depressant she recommends.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Zelnorm is so new. It was just releaed in Canada. My doctor only gave it to me because the drug rep was just into her office. She knew very little about it. So, me thinks I am a guinea pig. It seems to be working now after about 3 weeks but apparently it is not for long term use, only about 12 weeks. After that, who knows! I take Metamucil 2 tbsp in the morning with a stool softener and then a Zelnorm about 30 min. before breakfast, drinls lots and lots of water. Our problem seems to be that we do not drink enough water and we sort of dehydrate - constipation. At night I take a Zelnorm before supper and 0.5mg of Ativan for sleep. This all seems to be working quite well. I hope you find some relief soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Zelnorm is known as Zelmac in most of the rest of the world outside N America, so you need to ask for Zelmac when it becomes available. Right now Zelmac is approved in 45 countries, including Switzerland, but not yet in the EU, which is probably why your doctor doesn't know about it yet. Zelnorm has been available for over a year in Canada and no problems have been seen with it so far, so Ally50 is at least not a Canadian guinea pig.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of the antidepressants work for IBS as well as depression.Serotonin is a common neurotransmitter in the nerves that control the gut (the majority of the serotonin in your body is in your gut). The drugs work on it where-ever they find it, not just in the brain because it was first marketed as an antidepressant.Zoloft is fairly commonly used for IBSers that tend to constipation as it generally tends to loosen stools more than some of the other antidepressants (but their effects on the GI tract tends to be fairly individual what causes constipation or diarrhea in one patient may cause the opposite in another).The other main effect of antidepressants in IBS is modulating pain and discomfort. They do this in a wide range of disorders that include chronic pain as a symptom.K.

·
Registered
888 Posts
im on cipralex (called lexapro in the USA). ive been taking 10mg for the past 8 wks. the bowel movement have decreased in number but the constant tummy ache is still there. will it take much longer for it to help the pain?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all your replies. Could you tell me when the best time is to take zoloft? I took my first tablet before I went to bed last night and I spent the whole night staring at the ceiling!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.