Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,I'm a returning member from back in '99, although the system can't seem to find my old login info, so it looks like I'm a new member.ANYWAY - I am trying Zelnorm for the first time. I started taking it on 1/11. The doc had me start with 1/2 pill (the 6mg pills)and ramp up every 3 days until now I am taking 1 pill twice a day. It doesn't seem to be working at all.At first I thought it would work for me. The first day I took the 1/2 pill I had a bout with D. I wasn't too surprised 'cause the info in the pamphlet said that could happen. The D has not come back. I had one good BM a couple days later. It seemed like the bloatin was better. But since then, it seems like my C is worse than ever! I am going 5 days with nothing happening. I took Colace after the first 5 days and finally had a good BM next morning. Now it's been another 5 days and no action and I'm up to the full dose of zelnorm.The doc had said I could take as much as 3 tablets per day, split 1.5 and 1.5. I did that for a couple of days but it gave me a splitting headache so I backed it off to just 1 and 1.My questions: has anyone else experienced the worsening of C symptoms on zelnorm?If I try the higher dose again, is it ok to take aspirin for the resulting headache?How long does it take to see results? Should I stay on it or give up?I guess that's it for now. I'm about to drink a big mug of coffee to see if that will get things moving today.
Thanks for your thoughts! - - Nanl

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Are you taking on completely, totally empty stomach the 1st thing in the morning and then waiting for it to work?? that's what I have to do. I take it even before I get out of bed and then drink coffee and wait---usually 1 hour, sometimes 2, but usually go by then. When I 1st started taking it I had D really bad for about 2 weeks and alot of watery D too. Now it's a very loose stool, nothing 'normal' or formed but I do get the stool out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tiss,Well, I guess my stomach isn't TOTALLY empty in the morning when I take it. I've been in the habit of drinking a big mug of water with a bit of lemon juice in it and taking some acidophillus with that first thing in the morning. I wait about an hour, sometimes less, and then take the zelnorm and then eat breakfast.This morning I had a bit of a BM - - little pellets (my grandmother used to call that "bupkis" and that's how I think of it.) Certainly not a good BM, considering I haven't gone in 5 days. I'm thinking of taking the Colace again tonight, but I hate to get into that habit.I plan on calling the doc tomorrow to see what he suggests.It just seems so wierd to me that my bowels seem to be even more sluggish on this stuff than before. Am I so unusual?? - Nan

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nani, it appears your story is similar to mine. Aside from some "rumbling" when I took my very first dosage, it hasn't done anything for me and has quite possibly worked against me. For that reason I no longer take it, so don't think that it "has" to work for everyone.What's worked for me is taking 500mg of the antibiotic "Neomycin" twice a day for 10 days. You can check out the SIBO specific section under the Medications forum for a lot more information on SIBO and IBS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, CarmelRob - - I'll check it out.BTW - I've now been on the Zelnorm for over 6 weeks, I think, and I have to say, I do think it is helping me now. I've been much more comfortable for the past couple of weeks. I think I just got off to a rough start and it took a really long time to "kick-in." I asked the pharmacist and she told me it can take 4 weeks to start working for some people. I guess I fell into that group. So, hang in there and keep trying things. - -NanlP.s. Still trying to get to the bottom of what's causing the troubles in the first place. Had a Gastric Emptying study done and will be having an endoscopy at the end of this month.The search continues...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.