Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first visit to this message board and it has been really helpful! I was just wondering if anyone has used bentyl in the past, and if so, how it compares to zelnorm? I take bentyl almost every morning. It helps keep things moving, so to speak, so it has actually been very effective for me. The problem is that I feel stoned for about 2-3 hours after I take it (and it is really most effective if taken in the morning, so switching to an evening dose is not an option for me.) It has taken me two months to convince my doctor to let me try zelnorm and I finally have the medication. But now, after reading about everyone's experiences on zelnorm, I'm not sure I should give up a med that works for me when so many people seem to have had a less than successful experience with the zelnorm. I feel like I have a better idea of what to expect once I start taking the zelnorm, but I'm more apprehensive than I was before I started reading all the messages!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cathy,Do you have IBS-C or IBS-D? I have IBS-C and have been afraid to try Bentyl since one of the common side effects is constipation. How many milligrams do you take each morning? I, too, have a GI doc reluctant to let me go for Zelnorm.Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suzie, I have IBS-C and Bentyl is the only med I have had much luck with (I've tried 3-4 other ones, but Levsin is the only one I can remember the name of.) I take 20MG of Bentyl at a time. My prescription is written for 3x daily, but I never take it that often. It seems to work best if I take it on an empty stomach in the morning and more times than not I will have a BM within an hour or so. I basically use it to keep myself regular. As long as I don't go more than two days without a BM, I don't have problems with pain or cramping. At first I only took Bentyl when I was cramping up and miserable. But since I have started taking it daily as a preventive measure I have been able to manage my IBS really well. I don't take anything else for it and I don't use fiber supplements or laxatives. I have switched to lactose-free milk, but other than that I have not really had to make any changes in my diet. Cathy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cathy,Thanks so much for the info. My symptoms are feeling of a tight stomach with gas-like cramps but unable to actually pass it. Lately, I have been having associated symptoms of alot of belching when this happens even with drinking water. Crazy thing is the symptoms only seem to be from about the 10th day of my cycle until the 21st day (I usually ovulate on about 19). The first few days start with mild symptoms and gradually worsen and then are extremely bad right at ovulation and then ease off over the next day or two. Sometimes I get a day or two of symptoms right when my period starts. I am wondering if this is hormonal or something. I had been on the pill for most of my adult life until about 18 months ago and these symptoms seem like they are getting worse. When I was on the pill about one week prior to my period I would get these exact same symptoms (without the belching) for about one or two days and then they would be gone. The GI doc more or less blew off the hormonal idea and gave me a RX for Bentyl. Next month I guess I will give it a try and see if it helps. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suzie, Is your GI doc a male, by any chance?!? I know that I have read that hormonal changes often cause diarrhea just prior to a woman's period, so you're probably right about the hormonal connection. Have you ever been diagnosed or tested for GERD (reflux disease)? Your symptoms sound a lot like GERD. I was diagnosed w/GERD (by a different doc) several years prior to the IBS diagnosis. I took Axid for 12 weeks and it made a big difference. My current doctor doesn't believe I have GERD so I no longer take any medicine for it, but I'm considering trying the OTC version of Axid again to see if it helps. I think my GI problems are really a combination of GERD and IBS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cathy,The doctor thought I might have some GERD but when I said a tight stomach what I really meant was tight lower abdomen and lower abdominal crampy gas-like feeling. My actual stomach area doesn't burn or cramp and I haven't noticed any acid reflux just alot of belching. Does this sound like the symptoms you had? He put me on AciPhex which seemed to help some but when the lower abdominal cramps are really bad the AciPhex doesn't seem to help the belching much at all. I don't have any diarrhea but I have always had a slow-moving colon with a tendency towards constipation. By avoiding dairy and processed foods, i.e., breads, grains, and supplementing with tons of water and two doses of Citrucel a day, my bowels will usually move each day whereas before it was about every third day. However, I still get these awful pains. I have read that endometriosis can mimick IBS symptoms, but I had a laparoscopic procedure last December to resuspend my uterus and they looked for endometriosis but found none. I just which I knew what the heck was going on with my body.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Suzie, I had the belching that is associated w/GERD (still do) and chest/stomach pain when I was diagnosed. But I've never had the nighttime heartburn that is the classic GERD symptom. It sounds like your doctors have done a pretty thorough job ruling stuff out. IBS is frustrating because it's not really the same for any two people and nothing seems to offer a total cure. I was hoping Zelnorm would be my miracle cure, but after reading about everyone else's experiences I have definitely lowered my expectations! I'm still going to try it in a couple of weeks after my schedule is a little less hectic (in case the side effects are bad) so I'll let everyone know how I fare with it. I hope the Bentyl is helpful for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts