Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with what the Docs say is IBS forever it seems. Haven't posted on this board in a while but have been having a bad spell & found this board helpful in answering my questions & making me feel better before just by knowing I am not alone. Have tried many drugs over the past few years which some seemed to work for a while then they seemed to stop working & so I would stop taking them. I would start them back up if my stomach would start acting up again. They were mostly antispasmodics. Other then that I just hide out & deal with the pain. Well have had a bbaaddd week. Really messed with my life. Last Fri. AM had several explosive stools before going to & actually at the beginning of work. Tummy didn't really feel all that bad though. Got hungry at lunch so ate a small piece of Chicken & some veges. Half an hour or so the pain in my upper midgastric area started. Ended up incapacitated & goin home. Sat. made it through work just ate a few crackers sporadically throughout the day. I talked to a GI Dr making rounds & he said to go to his office & pick up samples of Zelnorm to try. I have been seen by his group in the past. I know it is for predominately constipating & at this time I do not know what the hell I am C or D. I took a Zelnorm before I ate supper on Mon. had to go potty approx 1 hr after which consisted of a couple small formed lumps & watery ####. Can't say my tummy really hurt that night just that constant yucky feeling like ya gotta go all the time. Compared to the pain I have had that is nothing. The next AM I wasn't feeling too hot. Had maybe a couple small loose stools but was having intense knife-like pains that would last for quite a while in different places of the abdomen,Oh & my left shoulder. lower right & midright abdomen, & left shoulder. (I have had the gallbladder tests) Well needless to say I was going on a bus trip on Wed & did not want to be feeling like that so I did not take another one. Well I got up to go on the bustrip & felt ok that morn. Had a couple french toast sticks on the bus on the way up...no problem yet. Went & had a very small turkey/roast beef sandwich (like 1/4 of a small 6" sub) then it all started again. Had to go to the bathroom. Medium size mushy stool with a lot of wind.You know, think you are going to lift off the toilet & your stool has that airpocket filled appearance. (This stuff is gross isn't it...sorry. I just need to talk to people who understand.) Anyway..have to make it to see the play! Well 1 block down the pain in the mid upper gastric region starts, followed by the cold sweats & you better get to another bathroom feeling. Once again explosion. Then the pain says Hey I am here to stay & if you want to see that play you are going to see it in pain. I took meds & thought you wanna bet!Well I listened to it, in pain, Lying in the hall on the carpeting at the Theater in the lobby. I tried to sit & watch the play. I thought maybe it would distract me, that I really wasn't hurting that bad, it would go away! I was sweating up a storm, trying to concentrate on breathing right to control the pain because the meds I took which was Ativan to try & relax me & Vicodin to take away the pain were not working this time. I had found that at times in the past the quickest way to relief was by taking these & getting into a hot bathtub & get relaxed as soon as possible. Well no bath tub for me that day Just a hard floor to lie on & writhe in pain. I even took another dose of each med when they didn't work. The bus trip was no fun trip back. I never got relief until sometime on Thursday & my whole body ached all over after. Still does today. Called the Gi Doc office, of course can not get in until the 17th. The nurse suggests I take the Zelnorm & take the 6 mg bid. It takes a while to really work. I really wondered about those of you that have taken it did you experience the sharp pains at first & then they went away?? I am a nurse & do not know what to do..that is really sad. This gets me so frustrated because I feel like I should know what to do & how to listen to my body & be able to control this. It gets me so down at times. I am usually a pretty happy go lucky person & I do not think I have any more stressors then the normal person. I am in my 40's & this has been going on since my teens.Scared to eat ,scared to go anywhere. I really do a pretty good job of dealing most of the time but now I am having a real hard time. I feel like I am letting everyone around me down. Can't take me anywhere without worrying.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I found this on the zelnorm web site:Important Safety Information E-mail this page Adverse events reported significantly more often with Zelnorm than with placebo were headache (15% vs 12%) and diarrhea (9% vs 4%). Zelnorm is contraindicated in those patients with severe renal impairment; moderate or severe hepatic impairment; a history of bowel obstruction, symptomatic gallbladder disease, suspected sphincter of Oddi dysfunction, or abdominal adhesions; or a known hypersensitivity to the drug or any of its excipients. Zelnorm should not be initiated in patients who are currently experiencing, or frequently experience, diarrhea. Zelnorm should be discontinued immediately in patients with new or sudden worsening of abdominal pain. See the prescribing information.Please click here for Additional Tolerability/Safety Information http://www.zelnorm.com/hcp/about/zelnorm/importsafety.jsp hope you feel better soonnancy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.