Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have been taking Zelnorm for 5 days and so far all I find is that I feel and hear things moving through my bowels. I got very constipated and had to have an enema. After the initial emptying, I have had about 3 almost normal movements. Is this a normal reaction to this drug? I have been having bowel problems (bloating, constipation, severe pain, nausea) for a number of years. I have had all kinds of tests done with no results. About 3 years ago I hurt my lower back at work and an inflammed disk is pressing on a nerve in that area. I have been told that this can cause the lower part of the bowel to have impaired function. Although this is not the problem for the years before that. Lately my condition has been keeping me at home most of the time. I seem to be spending my days trying to go to the bathroom and afraid of another terrible attack which usually takes me to the hospital with not much help except sometimes some pain killers. I would give anything to be able to live and plan my life without this constant disease. I would appreciate any information or similar situations brought to my attention. Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by Lucilla:"Hi there, I have been taking Zelnorm for 5 days and so far all I find is that I feel and hear things moving through my bowels. I got very constipated and had to have an enema. After the initial emptying, I have had about 3 almost normal movements. Is this a normal reaction to this drug?" Hi!My reaction to Zelnorm has been significantly different from yours. I've tried Zelnorm many times, and, for me, it just doesn't work. I'm IBS-C, and, after taking Zelnorm, I get the runs for about three hours, then I'm right back to where I was. I've never experienced the sound or sensation of things moving through the system, though. At least, not with Zelnorm. From what I've read on this forum, people seem to react differently to this drug."I would give anything to be able to live and plan my life without this constant disease. "Amen to that!!! IBS is a nuisance, isn't it?

G

·
How long does it usually start to work, if it does work for a person. My dr gave me 4 trial boxes. Should I start with one a day, or jump in with the 2/day?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Railfan, Sorry to hear Zelnorm is not working for you. I am on my second week with it now and I do know that things are moving through, but I am expeiencing a lot of cramping and aching. I pray that as I continue to use this medication that things will get better. I was reading about the foods that could cause or make IBS worse. You would have to give up almost all foods. I cannot track what sets my problems off. It is just so frustrating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sweetbon,Your doctor should have filled you in on how and when to take Zelnorm. The instructions I have are to take it twice a day on an empty stomach and before a meal. I take mine early in the am and again at Supper time. I would suggest that you ask your doctor some more questions or possibly the pharacist could help you out. I sincerely hope you get some relief.

·
Registered
126 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Lucilla:I was reading about the foods that could cause or make IBS worse. You would have to give up almost all foods. I cannot track what sets my problems off. It is just so frustrating.
I'm with you on that. My IBS seems to be pretty indiscriminate to what I eat, though some foods give me gas. Most breakfast stuff is like that, so I end up being miserable the rest of the day.As I mentioned in another thread, I'm going to try that Activia yogurt. I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.