Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I was recently at ER 3 times and then admitted to hosp for severe abdominal pain. After many tests to rule out life threatening things and other GI issues beyond IBS, the working theory is a flare up of my IBS with constipation. Doc started me on Zelnorm. Anyone care to share their experiences with this med? How long did it take after you started it for you to get relief of pain etc.? How long till you had a BM? Was it helpful for you? Any side effects? I was too tired and uncomfortable at hospital yesterday to think to ask him some of this stuff and his nurse was of limited help today. He started me on 3mg twice a day x 2 weeks, then change to one whole 6mg pill a day. (He had done 2mg twice a day but drugstore didn't stock that dosage and I couldn't wait for them to order it and for it to arrive tomorrow or next day, so he changed it.) And of course, stop if diarrhea develops and call him then. I've had 2 doses of zelnorm (just took the second one) but no BM yet. Of course, with all this pain, I haven't eaten much either. Any info you care to share would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
840 Posts
A few years back i was put on 3 mg twice a day but i did nothing at all. About 6 months ago i started 6 mg twice a day and it worked. My first time i had D but that went a way the next day. I find i don't get bloated as when i didn't take the Zelnorm. I have many more "good" days than not now. I went a few times to the E.R also with incredible pain and bloating. I started using glycerine suppositories everyday and i am doing much better now. I also take prodiem everyday. All of these things keep me arlright i guess. I still go through some days when nothing works.But with all that i take i think the glycerine is the thing that is doing the best job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was on Zelnorm 3 times a day but found that it gave me D really bad and bad stomach pains. I'm just starting it again once a day and it's working but slowly. Stomach still feels like I've been "beat up". Still, Zelnorm seems to be the only thing that really make a difference.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have been on Zelnorm twice daily for about 6 months, and it's working very well. One thing they don't emphasize nearly enough in the directions is that if you take it on a non-empty stomach, IT WILL NOT DO ANYTHING. At first it wasn't working for me, and then I started taking it 1-2 hours before breakfast, and it helped a ton. The nighttime pill is harder to take on an empty stomach -- it has to be 2 hours after a meal and 1 hour before a meal. Who has periods when they eat nothing for 3 hours? But, at least do the empty stomach for the first pill; it will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hand, good luck with the Zelnorm. I went with two years of IBS without it and I don't know how I managed without it. I still have bad days, as Vena said, but the good days are much better. The Zelnorm tends to give me diahhrea like stool, but I will taking going ten times over not going at all anyday! And, when Vena said take it on an empty stomache, she was not kidding. Many days I have popped food in my mouth when I woke up and realized that I didn't take my Zelnorm yet and thought, ugh, I'm stuck. I only take the one pill in the morning, but I wonder if I should be taking the one at night. Vena, can you tell a difference when you take the night pill as to when you don't?I wish you much success on the Zelnorm. Its hard to have a normal life with the IBS, but the Zelnorm should help. God bless. Heather

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.