Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I was utterly suprised when JJ mentioned to me that perhaps I should look into Zofran rather than Lotronex. I was shocked and realized that I knew absolutely nothing about this drug but I've superficially observed that people who vomit profit a lot from it--I do not have anywhere near this symptom. If some of you could give me your experiences with the drug or with both it would be very useful.Cheers.

·
Registered
596 Posts
DJM,A good place to start may be to do a search on Zofran in this forum (or just scroll through the pages since they are no longer archived on the EVE board.) Zofran was particularly popular at the time that Lotronex was off the market.I noticed from another post of yours that you're from Canada. I did a search on Zofran in some reputable Canadian pharmacies, and while it's significantly cheaper than in the US, it's still very expensive. I don't know how your doctor feels about prescribing unorthodox treatments like Zofran, but if you have any trouble you might want to try to get referred to a clinic that specializes in IBS where they may be familiar it. Also, a number of people here in the US with good insurance got the drug covered, but I don't know about Canadian insurance companies.

·
Banned
7,295 Posts
As suggested, please use the Find tab to search for previous postings about Zofran.I've never had a problem in Canada having an insurance company cover the cost of the prescription for Zofran.You might discuss Zofran with your doctor and try 7 pills as a start. I found that I only needed about 1-2 mg every other day. Since Zofran is supplied as either 4 mg or 8 mg tablets, you will need to cut them up.Jeff

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gentlemen,How did you find that Zofran helped with anxiety? It is my understanding that in experiments of applying pressure through a bulb inserted in the anus, people on Lotronex experienced less brain hyperactivity in certain areas vs. the control. This suggests that it plays a big part in reducing anxiety and I suspect Cilansetron does the same but more effectively according to trials. My question is if Zofran has the same mechanism or if it just has some weird side effect where it causes constipation?Cheers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff,There's an individual under the alias Eric who usually posts some great articles regarding various studies--it was included among them and if I come across it again I shall post it.Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.