Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't why this drug isn't in the list.Anyway.My Doc prescribed me ZYPREXA (OLAZANPINE).ZYPREXA is USUSALLY an anti-psychotic drug with some anti-depressif effect (weak).It's an 5-HT2 antagonist and also a Dopamine antagosnist (5HT-1, 5HT3, 5HT-4 are not involved). I read that even with low dose (2.5mg) all 5HT-2 receptors are occupied by the drug and not all D receptors are occupied (PET scan study).I had D with pain.This drug CLEARED my D and pain to a large extend. I use actually 2.5 mg. My doc prescribe 5 mg.One benefit (if i can say that) also is a an increased appetite. So i gained some weight, not a lot. I just have to control my appetite.This effect is ALSO seen on peoples with no IBS.--SO this drug HAS effect on the gastro-intestinal track.--The first week you may experience dizziness, drozziness, ..etcCheck here www.rxlist.com and type Zyprexa for drug search.----I thing that it does the job via 5HT-2 receptor.That all i wanted to say.You may ask you doc.I cut the 5mg pill in 4 quarters to start it's use instead of jumping right in the max dose.----Good luck

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sex drive?NO PROBLEM AT ALL WITH THAT
---------I was prescribed Celexa (anti-depressive, SSRI type) drug 2y ago and i had sex drive trouble. With this kind of drug, the drug act on the serotonine neurotransmiter as a whole.With Zyprexa, only 5HT-2 receptors on neurons are inhibited. There is no influence on all others kind of receptors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.